Can anybody tell us how the on-screen keyboard behaves in portrait mode? Does it work at all?

I can image myself rotating so the top of the screen is where the camera and light sensor are, and sliding the keyboard out to the left. It might be reasonable to type using my left thumb.

My experience with my old Zaurus was that a narrower on-screen keyboard (FITALY layout) worked really well.

On my n800 the Stylus keyboard is pretty much complete, but the buttons are VERY small. The Thumbkeyboard consist only of about half of the keyboard, so it's useless. Unless you constantly have to type: The Rotation is VERY fast (like the switch from windowed, to fullscreen mode) , so you could just switch to normal layout for typing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Any chance fanoush will include this into his kernel?
This would be really great. This rotation feature is really excellent, but on the other hand I dont' want to loose the featrues from fanoush's kernel like pptp support.

I have an n800 with os2008 and fanoush's dual boot and Penguinbait's KDE for dual boot. Any one with that setup try this rotation kernal? I don't want to lose this setup. Any help, tips or advise would be greatly appreciated. Dan

I have never flashed the n800 kernel before. I am trying to follow the directions, but I am not sure if I am supposed to be flashing it from the n800 itself or from a computer.

Edit: Nevermind. Got it.

Follow these instructions on your pc http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howt...magewithlinux/

Last edited by drizek; 2008-03-13 at 19:10.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Use fanoush kernel_flasher is much much easier.

http://www.wahlau.org/updating_n800_..._different_way

But is there a better way to update the kernel on the MMC instead of on flash?

More info:

- kernel_flasher runs on N800 so you don't need a pc!
- just download *deb kernel-RX* file to a directory you choose
- kernel_flasher does not need any option on the command line (-k -f )

Last edited by nhanquy; 2008-03-13 at 19:06. Reason: More info

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by iskarion View Post
This rotation feature is really excellent, but on the other hand I dont' want to loose the featrues from fanoush's kernel like pptp support.
Will add rotation patch to N8x0 pptp kernel on my site. Well, in fact adding similar code to 770 kernel shouldn't be too hard too, videochip is similar and also have this functionality. Not sure if xserver in hacker edition is easy to patch and rebuild win randr support though.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
- this is major, major news and a very good development - congrats to the developers for this...

- now why, why, why didn't Nokia implement this from the beginning?

- and is there any chance in h-e-double-hockey-sticks that this will make it into the next ITOS release?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Thanks fanoush . I can forget trying to compile some half-arsed version by my me :\

Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
- this is major, major news and a very good development - congrats to the developers for this...

- now why, why, why didn't Nokia implement this from the beginning?

- and is there any chance in h-e-double-hockey-sticks that this will make it into the next ITOS release?
Nokia will not support this because it means that they will have to ensure that all their apps work with it. I remember adding landscape mode to Windows Mobile 2003 resulted in a lot of app breakage.

Anyway, thanks a lot for this. I didn't realize how useful rotating the screen could be until I loaded up an ebook. Much better.

Tags
angular momentum, quantum mechanics, rotation, weirdtags