1. It's a licence. You can transfer it to n820, n900 and so on.

2. Why not?

3. nope.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by stewwalton View Post
I recognise this but thats not my point. I want the Internet Tablet to be as successful as possible and I think this is a missed opportunity. By offering navigation software to N810 owners straight out of the box it would become much more appealing a proposition (and therefore sell in much greater numbers)

Your comparison to Dell is spurious; Nokia have released a MOBILE device with built in GPS is it really that much of a stretch for people to expect it to offer navigation software?????
I believe that the Tablet is successful if it wasn't we wouldn't be seeing continued support and the release of new devices.

Well I guess I am in a minority, I think that with the model that Nokia have in place the user can tap resources from the open source/hobbyist programming world and get their *free* software (eg the excellent Maemo Mapper) but for a nominal fee, and trust me $40 a year is a nominal fee you get professional turn by turn navigation software.
If you don't want turn by turn then don't pay for it, or use Maemo Mapper which is a great program and probably one of the single biggest triumphs of the Maemo platform.

Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
My brother recently bought a TomTom, it had a few year old maps on it, which didn't even include the street that he lived on. Brand new unit, and in order to get something that was remotely current, they wanted him to buy new maps.

I would also prefer that the navigation features were included for free, but $130 for 3 years isn't bad at all.

(Of course, I also think $480 is overpriced for what the N810 adds, but the street price will hopefully be around $325, that'd be much more reasonable.)
Sorry, but i call total *Horse Radish* on this statement of yours "My brother recently bought a TomTom, it had a few year old maps on it, which didn't even include the street that he lived on".

Unless he bought an older model TomTom from a few years ago or the street he lives on was just created, a brand new TomTom does not have "few year old maps" on it.
Even TomTom v.6 that i have on my Treo 700Wx is current up to the beginning of the year.

Be more accurate, post the model TomTom and version your brother bought.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Garage Battle View Post
well u need to figure the reality of this also.

1. we wont own this device for 3 years...most of us didnt have the 770 more than a year till the 800 came out, and now look where we are less than a year later.

2. i cant see it helping resale value much on ebay having the wayfinder sub paid for.

3. yep.
The "obsolescence" argument is old and tired, Garage.

Not only is the N800 not underpowered as you persistently claim (nor is the N800), there's nothing forcing owners to abandon the products every time a new one comes out. Yes, the 770-to-N800 transition was done poorly but that one's been soundly put to bed.

As long as a device works for an owner, even if that's 3 years or more, then all is well. But if you're so unhappy, and see no resolution to your gripes, why are you here? Just to piss on peoples' parades?

Originally Posted by merovingian View Post
Sorry, but i call total *Horse Radish* on this statement of yours "My brother recently bought a TomTom, it had a few year old maps on it, which didn't even include the street that he lived on".

Unless he bought an older model TomTom from a few years ago or the street he lives on was just created, a brand new TomTom does not have "few year old maps" on it.
Even TomTom v.6 that i have on my Treo 700Wx is current up to the beginning of the year.

Be more accurate, post the model TomTom and version your brother bought.
TomTom GO 300, bought around two years ago (okay it wasn't that recently that he bought it.) had software version 5.0 on it with the map version 5.something as well. The current version at the time was software 6.0 and maps 6.1 something I believe. TomTom would have been happy to let him upgrade to that software and maps for a cost, so its not that it just wasn't possible to get the new software on it. The street that he lives on has existed for over 20 years. He was so pissed off by them wanting him to buy the new maps for a unit that he had just bought that he actually returned it for a Garmin, which had his street on their maps right out of the box.

Last edited by jhoff80; 2007-10-23 at 03:51.