Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
Yani

About the lack of video playback. Is the problem not that the video has a bitrate of 5000kb/s+? I found that Mplayer will not play anything reliable more than about 1000Kb/s. I have several downloaded movies which are about 800kb/s which work great, but DVDs ripped down using myth to about 1500kb/s will not play reliably. They just miss loads of frames and skip all over the place on my N800 (os2008).
lol.. yeah, I realized that I was expecting a bit much from the n810 with 5000kb/s, but I've been experimenting and even with a 1000kb/s 320x240 mpeg2 it's not playing. I also tried an extremely small RTJpeg which should have the least cpu requirements and it's not working either :-(.

I'm going to try mpeg4 anyway, but I don't see it working. I'm not surprised that I need to do some porting of the XV code, but it would have been a nice surprise if it had worked off the bat!

Originally Posted by salomc View Post
Wow, seems really good news. But, as a newbie that I am, I should ask: how are we gonna be allowed to watch cable TV if we don’t have tuner cards for the tablets? Or: what could we do with MythTV on our tablets?
MythTV is by design a network application, even when you only have mythtv installed on one computer, it is using two separate processes, one the (master in this case) backend to record and another the frontend to view. This makes it extremely flexible. You could have the n810 as a mythfrontend and your desktop as a backend, or even the n810 as a backend and the desktop as a frontend!

The Following User Says Thank You to yani For This Useful Post:
Thank you very much, yani. Certainly when available it will be one of my favourite apps. Gonna install MythTV on my CPU. It just gets tablets even better.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Hmmm. regarding Yani's comments about using the backend and usb tuners, and hoping to compile for the 770. Before I got an 800, I had a usb hard disk working with my 770 for music storage.

If the backend does work with the 770, a fun experiment would be to modify a powered usb hub with the power injector fix, and hook up some usb tuners, and a large 3.5" disk in a usb enclosure.

If it worked, it would make a fantastic low powered backend solution.
Obviously we would need MySQL as well - don't know if that's been ported yet, or how easily it would compile. USB-DVB V4L drivers shouldn't take too much work though should they?

I have given serious consideration to seeing if I could get Samba and NFS working so I could use my 770 in the style above as a NAS for my network.

I am sooo looking forward to running mythfrontend on my tablet.
Gaz

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by yani View Post
The n810 and n800 have USB host support, and there are a lot of USB ATSC/DVB digital tuners that would take no CPU power at all to record off, so I was thinking there is the possibility of using one as a light-weight backend. There are also some SD MPEG2 encoding TV tuners (like the PVRUSB2) that would work well.

Really I'm hoping I can port the backend to the n770 and use my old n770 as a lightweight slave backend, but I'd have to use a powered usb hub for sure with the 770.
Not thought of it in that way. But then I've got so many machines running 24/7 that I just plug another card in.

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
If it worked, it would make a fantastic low powered backend solution.
Obviously we would need MySQL as well - don't know if that's been ported yet, or how easily it would compile.
There is a full version of mysql in the maemo extras repository, however the server has some rather shady requirements (bash which uninstalls most of the base system), and it is a much older version of mysql (4.0) than would work seamlessly with mythtv. Hence I'm working on porting mysql5 or at least 4.1 if only for the newer libmysql15 to build mythtv against instead of libmysql12.

Quick update - I've ported mysql 5, and the project has been created. I'm uploading the mysql port now, and I also have to figure out how to create a repository.

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/mythtv/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yani For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Thanks Yani.

Will there be a mythtv package, or do we need to download and compile from source?

thanks Gaz

EDIT: just rechecked, and there is more packages iin the garage - ignore my impatience!

Last edited by gazza_d; 2008-03-22 at 11:27.

I've posted some binaries! See more in this follow-up post:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=18270