Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
A short update on everyday use of a pinephone after almost a month since my N900 stopped working.
For the most part it works nearly as well as my N900, and I am surprised a bit how much waiting for a fully UI optimized stable audio book app(Cozy) was holding up my adoption of the pinephone.
In some ways far better, I am getting used to being able to access my email and other websites again after many years of mostly useless web browser despite the many attempts by the community to restore function.
I miss the always dark appearance of most Maemo5 apps but that is not a minor issue.
I am currently trying to solve the way to get bluetooth access point working(PAN) as we have with the N900 I am stuck at getting Mobian to show the NAP/PAN UUID. This is in my opinion a must-have replacement for wifi hotspot which is implemented, I need PAN-internet access both for mobile work and on the train but especially during a power outage where WiFi uses too much power.
I love having whole disk encryption at bootup.
There is still no great solution to video playback though Kodi is nearly there with the Estouchy skin installed thouvh that skin seems to crash some streaming plugins; VLC's UI is not ready for the scaling, and the included Gnome Totem player has always had issues playing most video formats/codecs.
I have GPS and navigation working, there are several OSM apps which allow downloading local area for offline use, GPS device access still requires setup via CLI.
Battery life is way better than 6 months ago but still could see improvement especially when playing video.
The bluetooth audio on speakers, headphones, and cars seems to be working well for the most part, occasionally there is an error where I need to un-pair and re-pair as the phone tries to use it's internal speaker.
after nearly a decade using a N900 it is nice to be able to use standard CITA headphones without an adapter.
At this point I would call the pinephone 70% as functional as Ubuntu on a laptop or LineageOS with Microg on a phone/tablet.
The app repos (both deb and flatpak) are getting populated with the must have services.
I am still waiting for UI optimized crytpo wallets, secure IM services (Tox and Briar) either via libpurple or stand alone; remote hardware interaction such as Pebble watch support, heart rate monitor, and OBT car computer readers; better battery life, more reliable OS(no more in-my-pocket kernel panic shutdowns); maybe a manga reader and some way to spoof access to my Librarie's overdrive book and audiobook service; I will probably tink of more later.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
A short update on everyday use of a pinephone after almost a month since my N900 stopped working.
For the most part it works nearly as well as my N900, and I am surprised a bit how much waiting for a fully UI optimized stable audio book app(Cozy) was holding up my adoption of the pinephone.
In some ways far better, I am getting used to being able to access my email and other websites again after many years of mostly useless web browser despite the many attempts by the community to restore function.
I miss the always dark appearance of most Maemo5 apps but that is not a minor issue.
I am currently trying to solve the way to get bluetooth access point working(PAN) as we have with the N900 I am stuck at getting Mobian to show the NAP/PAN UUID. This is in my opinion a must-have replacement for wifi hotspot which is implemented, I need PAN-internet access both for mobile work and on the train but especially during a power outage where WiFi uses too much power.
I love having whole disk encryption at bootup.
There is still no great solution to video playback though Kodi is nearly there with the Estouchy skin installed thouvh that skin seems to crash some streaming plugins; VLC's UI is not ready for the scaling, and the included Gnome Totem player has always had issues playing most video formats/codecs.
I have GPS and navigation working, there are several OSM apps which allow downloading local area for offline use, GPS device access still requires setup via CLI.
Battery life is way better than 6 months ago but still could see improvement especially when playing video.
The bluetooth audio on speakers, headphones, and cars seems to be working well for the most part, occasionally there is an error where I need to un-pair and re-pair as the phone tries to use it's internal speaker.
after nearly a decade using a N900 it is nice to be able to use standard CITA headphones without an adapter.
At this point I would call the pinephone 70% as functional as Ubuntu on a laptop or LineageOS with Microg on a phone/tablet.
The app repos (both deb and flatpak) are getting populated with the must have services.
I am still waiting for UI optimized crytpo wallets, secure IM services (Tox and Briar) either via libpurple or stand alone; remote hardware interaction such as Pebble watch support, heart rate monitor, and OBT car computer readers; better battery life, more reliable OS(no more in-my-pocket kernel panic shutdowns); maybe a manga reader and some way to spoof access to my Librarie's overdrive book and audiobook service; I will probably tink of more later.
Hello there. I tried Maemo Leste on my Pinephone and looks great but no browser available and only few apps on it. What image did you use? Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Much thanks for this detailed feedback, Great to read!
And about camera, phonecalls, SMS and MMS (with pics), how is the status?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Soon a PinePhone made picture for the competition?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
Much thanks for this detailed feedback, Great to read!
And about camera, phonecalls, SMS and MMS (with pics), how is the status?
No MMS yet everything else you ask about is good.
The camera is now working 100% the last few days since they got the QR reader working in-app. Strangely many apps cant access the camera and the mobile friendly apps mostly do nto have much in-app config and I have not found a good single location for documenting config file edits.
There are pretty much daily OS and app updates now.
I feel like the price means more people are willing to pay for a bring-your-own-OS device to do dev work.
(edit)
I will say that I wish Maemo-Leste were ready for everyday use on Pinephone. I love the familiarity it brings and I am better without systemd. I suppose the good news is with all FOSS drivers we can choose our preferred OS so there are at least 10 for Pinephone. With N900 we had Maemo5 or half working nitdroid with no modem, only now a 13 years later is Leste coming to the N900.

Last edited by biketool; 2022-04-05 at 17:27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Seriously though if anyone can help me with the Bluetooth Network Access Point PAN profile UUID I could use eyes on the problem.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=16343
We have it working for years on the N900, I am not sure if it is automatic or had to be edited in somewhere when we did the CSSU or Kernel Power.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
^ Will take a look, but it's not my area of expertise.

Thanks for your long report.
Forgive my incredulity, but:
everything else you ask about is good.
Phone calls & SMS have been notoriously tricky for all FOSS smartphone OS development, and you do not mention them at all in your report.
Now you say they're "good" - can you clarify? Good = 100% reliable as a daily and only mobile phone?

Also, how good is battery life exactly?
I get just about 2 days out of my SFOS device, with an old battery.

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
^ Will take a look, but it's not my area of expertise.

Thanks for your long report.
Forgive my incredulity, but:

Phone calls & SMS have been notoriously tricky for all FOSS smartphone OS development, and you do not mention them at all in your report.
Now you say they're "good" - can you clarify? Good = 100% reliable as a daily and only mobile phone?

Also, how good is battery life exactly?
I get just about 2 days out of my SFOS device, with an old battery.
It has a reasonable sound quality, still some backround noise but that might be fixed in software, calls work probably 99% of the time, reliable incoming wakeup works better than the N900, SMS in and out every time as far as I know. Good as in unremarkable, nothing bad to say. The biggest requirement is to occasional check that the phone didnt kernel-panic, reboot, and get stuck at the password prompt for full disc encryption; that is a problem when it is in a pocket vs on my desk where I will see the reboot.

MMS is in the pipe for Purism -> phosh -> and then forked on to the other OSs I suppose. https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=12456

Battery is probably only good for a day right now. I am the kind of person who did a double-Scud N900 battery and for non-linux users I recommend a Moto G7 power flashed with LineageOS and microG which seems to get 4-5 days. Work is being done on Mobian Pinephone battery life and it is a long way form the 3-4 hours possible years ago.

Last edited by biketool; 2022-04-07 at 10:23.

Thanks for clarifying a few points!
Still, I have to nag...
calls work probably 99% of the time
So, what are the 1% about then? What is happening there? You simply don't receive a phone call that you definitely know somebody made?

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
Thanks for clarifying a few points!
Still, I have to nag...
So, what are the 1% about then? What is happening there? You simply don't receive a phone call that you definitely know somebody made?
The bad 1% is stuff like removing from pocket and finding that the phone has rebooted from a kernel panic and waiting for the disc password to boot or the audio is wonky maybe coming from the phone ear speaker especially when paired to bluetooth in a car.
FWIW I am running the unstable branch so I get the latest updates but it is more crashy. I have not really tried stable since I first got the phone but phone calling was probably nearer to 100% and I do not recall kernel panics but it did have terrible battery life.