Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
I am not an expert about TOR (or actually anything related to networks, websites or computers generally), but personally I think it is weird that one would want to sign in to TMO using TOR. Or sign in to anywhere via TOR. OR even use any clearnet websites via TOR at all.

I mean, to maintain anonymity, one should not link him/herself to any profile. If you sign in to Facebook using TOR, TOR prevents others to locate you by your IP. It prevents malicious people/apps to get access your computer, but does it matter when you compromise your anonymity by using public profile?

Another thing is, that the very limited capacity of TOR network should be spared for those who really need it. Nowadays every neurotic anonymity torchbearer use TOR network to watch youtube videos, read news and browse FB, which:
1. doesn't keep you anonyme if you sign in
2. takes quite a lot of bandwith

I'm aware that I oversimplify things a lot. And actually don't completely understand about what I'm talking about. But the point is, like I said above, why to use TOR and then personalize oneself by signing in.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
I am not an expert about TOR (or actually anything related to networks, websites or computers generally), but personally I think it is weird that one would want to sign in to TMO using TOR. Or sign in to anywhere via TOR. OR even use any clearnet websites via TOR at all.
Actually it does make sense in case of private boards like TMO where the point might be that even as you authenticate locally your other identitites remain safe. Think of the case for example where Johnny Ive would secretly be a Maemo fanboy and wanted to participate on TMO but would face ridicule if ever found out

I mean, to maintain anonymity, one should not link him/herself to any profile. If you sign in to Facebook using TOR, TOR prevents others to locate you by your IP. It prevents malicious people/apps to get access your computer, but does it matter when you compromise your anonymity by using public profile?
This case is valid of course, but who uses FB nowdays any more? No security conscious people would ever do anything like that.

Another thing is, that the very limited capacity of TOR network should be spared for those who really need it. Nowadays every neurotic anonymity torchbearer use TOR network to watch youtube videos, read news and browse FB, which:
1. doesn't keep you anonyme if you sign in
2. takes quite a lot of bandwith
Bandwidth is not really an issue any longer. It used to be so you could only trickle a small flow through Tor but the situation is lot better nowdays. And bear in mind that to be truly usable as an anonymous and secure routing agent there has to be a lots of background traffic in Tor, also of the innocent kind.
However I do agree that to use tor to download unnecessary video content is a waste but hopefully that is only a minority.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
You don't necessarily want to hide from everyone, just from those that have no business peeking into your home. Just because you don't want your internet provider to know everything about you doesn't mean you want to hide from the communities you're a part of. On places like TMO where you share only a relatively small amount of personal information, you're just a username, mostly disconnected from your real life, so you don't really lose any anonimity by logging in.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
The title is straight to the point. Seriously, TMO has become a joke. Can't even read tmo through TOR because satan himself will summon hell to everyone anonymously while he performs black magic in the 9th circle? TOR must be blocked otherwise the N900 will never become a freedom-loving device (wait a sec here, a deja vu, perhpas?) ? TMO must track users and sell data to google in order to earn some cash?

What's next, AMA with NSA representatives?

This site has become a goddamn honeypot, and I don't care what the administration says. If the repos are run by the same people that run the site, why not simply buy an android that does me the favour of admitting that it sells my data to google? Well, it seems the very TMO is doing it now, although "covertly", so I guess that a painful conclusion has come to me, this site ain't trustworthy anymore.

If the repos are run by the same people running TMO, I'm selling the phone. I don't want to go over the code of everything I want on the phone, and I would bet that some malicious code might even be coming along with running packages.

I don't care if I get banned for stepping on someone's fragile ego. I think this would just demonstrate how much of an athenian dictatorship this site has become. qwerty21 had just left as I first came in. RvrMcCathy (I think that was it) and TexRat were around those days. Everyone thought MeeGo would come. About ten years later, all I see is the graveyard of a corpse whose orchestrated death as a device that really worked (even though thoroughly saboutaged) made sure Intel didn't go linux, and paved way for the android bullcrap that flooded the market. Who would have said, qwerty21 had a very good point.

Now, could someone tell if the managers of TMO run the repos? If so, I think it's time to fork the hell off of TMO-related sites, and get a good privacy-loving site ourselves, because I'm afraid this place is rotten to the core.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Since this is surrounding something that is purported to be "open source", then why not fork it?

The struggles you speak of definitely seem to be toilsome for you and worth remedying via a concerted effort of forking and keeping the prying eyes of Google and the other corporations and/or government entities that profit from knowing what all you do on your devices.

I am not picking a fight with you nor telling you what to do. I get it - more people should be focused on securing the devices they own and make sure they build a trust/meritocracy to back up those agendas.

Can it be done in an orderly way? Is there a possible misunderstanding at play right now? Or has things dwindled to where more and more folks will take umbrage with the status quo and take it into their own hands?

I hope you find a solution number41. And I hope that this thread, albeit provocatively titled, will yield some healthy discussion.

Good luck on your endeavors.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Buy a few servers with Bitcoin and setup your very own double-triple-quad-whatever VPN and enjoy the privacy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meego_leenooks1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
As bad as a few of the mangers are they are so on their free time so no worries. Let it play. As I see it you have 3 options: 1. Help TMO to set it up. 2. Leave and set up your own 3. Ignore it

What do you choose?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Another 'king of privacy' person, sigh, go to himalaya and be a monk, you'll be 'so damn safe' there, don't use internet!! Remember that when you talk bout privacy

number41, tor is not specifically being blocked, malicious ip address are being blocked due to excessive spam, sadly tor exit nodes are often a source of malicious activity, along with many other ip's

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chainsawbike For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chainsawbike View Post
number41, tor is not specifically being blocked, malicious ip address are being blocked due to excessive spam, sadly tor exit nodes are often a source of malicious activity, along with many other ip's
Don't get me wrong and nothing personal, but are you blind enough to believe that? I'm sure that merely *reading* the site through tor makes spam posts appear (ahem), but perhaps that is a bit of an outdated measure, considering spam hasn't stopped.

I'm sorry to say this, but the whole "blocking tor prevents spam" cheap excuse didn't cut it back when it started, and considering that spam hasn't stopped at all, continuing to block it points at another purpose, a hidden one.

In case TOR gets unblocked and spam starts to appear, I'd bet the very staff would be the ones doing it in order to further further justify blocking tor.

TMO has f**ked up. First it blocked TOR and now it has google captchas? I don't have a facebook account, should I expect one to be required for login soon?

The Following User Says Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:

Tags
literally, modsellingusoff, qwerty21, timetoforkoff?