I've had my N810 for about 4 months now, and I just realized that either the switch and return keys (under the camera) does not light up at all when the rest of the slide out keyboard does. I do not ever remember having them come on before (I seldom use the N810 in the dark).

My first question is, do those keys light up, or is mine broken, or did I inadvertently turn it off via software?

My next question is, has anyone come up with a way to map keys on the keyboard to launch applications from the home screen? That is, press "m" will launch "mail", "w" for the "web browser", etc.

My last question is, and I hope you don't laugh, has anyone found a decent bicycle mount for the N810? I'm already using the current mount in the car (I made a wooden cylinder to fit cup holder and screwed the mount there), so I can't re-use that mount.

-K

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by cheahk View Post
My first question is, do those keys light up, or is mine broken, or did I inadvertently turn it off via software?
They don't light up.

The Following User Says Thank You to alephito For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Austin, TX
They're expensive, but ProClip has the best device mounts anywhere. They also have a bicycle handlebar adapter.

Handlebar adapter
Device holder

The Following User Says Thank You to jellotherat For This Useful Post:
Wow. Thanks guys. I was starting to get a little worried there about the button backlight.

The ProClip is a nice option. $100 for the mount is 1/4 the price of the N810. Is there a more cost effective solution for a bicycle mount?

-K

The Following User Says Thank You to cheahk For This Useful Post:
Well, it's as cheap as $30 for the device adapter, and you could probably find some cheaper bracket for the handlebars. Then you might have to make an intervening adapter plate, though. I'm looking at doing something like this, as I want to mount my N800 and BT GPS on my bike, and didn't want to pay that much for the whole solution...

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
The only answer to your third question is: duct tape

Universal fixing agent which if applied correctly will give your n800 the unique ability to be wheeled around.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
The only answer to your third question is: duct tape

Universal fixing agent which if applied correctly will give your n800 the unique ability to be wheeled around.
LOL!!! I thought of that when saw the $100 price tag for the bicycle mount. I was thinking that at $100, I could double the ante and get another n800 and then duct tape it to the bike... which led to yet another question.

Is it possible to use the N810's GPS via bluetooth on the N800 (or any other device for that matter)?

-K

Yes, it's possible. You'll need gpspipe, which I have built. (And it may be available elsewhere, too.)

You'll need to establish a link between the two, presumably with rfcomm, but then it'll be reasonably straightforward:
Code:
gpspipe -r -s /dev/rfcomm0
Although I'm not sure the device name is rfcomm, I have vague memories; substitute whatever the real value is.

But it's not necessarily easy; might be better off getting a better BT GPS.