Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
From what I know.

The N8*0 was never claimed by Nokia to support PAN. It supports DUN out of the box. To connect to a phone that uses PAN, you need pycage's maemo-pan from extras.

(sorry, misread that)

The tablet initates the PAN connection and because pan is a hack, it's not listed as supported.

Regarding sharing an N8x0's internet connection using PAN, usually this is done in Linux with BlueZ by using pand. pand is not shipped with the standard bluez install on the tablets but you can get it by installing bluez-utils-test:
http://repository.maemo.org/pool/dia...sso4_armel.deb

No idea how to use pand however.

That wiki article is outdated btw. That workaround is NOT needed since nokia finally put out an update for dummy connections. If you use that method and start up an ad-hoc connection, you will waste battery. Just installing maemo-pan is enough.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-09-29 at 06:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
I saw that ad-hoc connections drain battery in the original-original thread when going for a workaround, so it specifically ifdown's the wifi connection... not sure if that really does the trick.

Now for the important part... I meant to update the wiki page to say it was outdated (considering I'm not even using it now that they've fixed the bug). When gourmand updated it with the PC-connectivity stuff, I mentioned that he should probably update it to mention the bug, but oh well ... I've updated it now.

The Following User Says Thank You to andreww For This Useful Post:
Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
I don't want to revive a dead thread -- but I was trying to connect my N810 to my laptop via PAN like some people were talking about here, and was able to do it after some poking around.

Thanks to the Maemo-PAN project, it is pretty easy if you can convince your PDA that your laptop is a phone. To do that on a Linux machine, I did...

Smartphone:
sudo hciconfig hci0 class 0x5a020c

And if you want to go back, a laptop is:
sudo hciconfig hci0 class 0x5a010c

Then I just paired it up as if it were a phone and it zipped right on. I also use Ubuntu and the Blueman packages, though, and turned on PAN and GN support.

Hope this'll help someone else looking into doing something similar later.