Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
It doesn't help but... Note: that the quick rule settings will disable the call confirmation step, but you can't select your gizmo sip number.

Does this work in Canada?

I'm looking at this and am a little confused about the whole setup. Anyone want to help with a newbie's guide?

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
nevermind.

I see below someone found the link. I knew I saw it in one of the categories. News was my last guess. It should be added to wiki, I don't know if/when I'll get around to it.

Last edited by TheGogmagog; 2008-01-11 at 19:33.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
I posted this free call method over a week ago http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...1&postcount=50
I must not have ¨yell¨ loud enough, glad others now see this is a good combination N8xx/GrandCentral.

The Following User Says Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Summerside, PEI, Canada
Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
I posted this free call method over a week ago http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...1&postcount=50
I must not have ¨yell¨ loud enough, glad others now see this is a good combination N8xx/GrandCentral.
Clicker, I'm in Canada and it worked for me.

heavyt, I just wanted to confirm whether the link you posted in step 6 should be prox01.sipphone.com or proxy01.sipphone.com

When I checked my Gizmo account for my sipphone number, it said @proxy, so that's what I used.

The calling part works fine; I can call my GC number through SkypeOut, and my N810 will ring (and thanks to the other helpful post, I now know how to press 1 to answer it!). So, that's all well and good. I have un-enabled my cell phone at GC because the whole reason for this set up is to avoid the crazy *** roaming charges of a Canadian cell phone in the US. But, when I tested it initially, both my N810 and my cell phone rang when I called my GC number.

My only issue now is when I try the "new internet call" and view the presence of my accounts, the GTalk is "connected" but the sipphone is "authentication failed." I suspect but I'm not sure that this is a router / "need to open a port" problem (as I have seen in some other threads) as I was having trouble connecting with just plain old Gizmo from the laptop. I haven't pursued the matter because I'm a SkypePro gal and that takes care of our outgoing calls.

But in summary, yes, heavyt's method works perfectly for my Canadian cell phone, and for receiving calls on the N810 in Canada.

The Following User Says Thank You to sarah11918 For This Useful Post:
Sarah, did you have the option to pick *your* area code in Gizmo? Mine's not there.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Summerside, PEI, Canada
Originally Posted by clicker666 View Post
Sarah, did you have the option to pick *your* area code in Gizmo? Mine's not there.
Nope, sadly the only numbers available are US numbers. So, I have a number based in sunny Florida . . . (no subconscious, Manitoba-based climate envy here)

So, in short, there's no real advantage for anyone local (and, we've only just recently moved from the GTA, so ideally we would have wanted a Toronto number) unless they have a comprehensive long distance plan that includes US numbers. But, here's what I can now do:

I've put a GC "call me" button on my website. This button will first use my GC number to ring the caller (who gives their own number in the web button), then rings Gizmo on my tablet. As far as I can tell, free for all involved, and the person calling me can use a normal phone. (You can see what it looks like at www.weliveherenow.net and go to the contact page.) Feel free to call it, to see what it's like. If I don't know you, I won't answer anyway so it will just go to voicemail.)

It's a little bit of overkill, admittedly, but I was more interested in the exercise of setting it up and seeing what I could do with it.

It might be useful when we travel to Europe and SkypePro (north American) will cost Skype Out credits. I'm thinking of giving people my GC number and telling them to put it in their caller ID, so that I can use my own web button and simply put THEIR number in, so that I can call them when I'm outside NA. (I've verified that the caller ID shows my GC to the other person, so if they receive a call from this number, yet only hear ringing, they'll know it's me trying to call them.)

As I mentioned, I don't have a need yet for "Gizmo Out" so I haven't experimented too much with that.

Anyway, that's how I've been using it. More as a learning experience than a solution to a real problem, but it has some use for sure.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Snohomish, WA
this is all quite interesting but one question has not been asked. Does this work when calling internationally? For example, calling from the US to Europe (or visa versa). Additionally, does this work when calling European cellphones (i.e. do you avoid the tariff for calls originating outside Europe)?

Last edited by znutar; 2008-01-16 at 22:24.

Thanks for this, it works for me. Once my cingular contract is up I will cancel my cell phone and get a prepayed phone for emergencies only.

Originally Posted by znutar View Post
this is all quite interesting but one question has not been asked. Does this work when calling internationally? For example, calling from the US to Europe (or visa versa). Additionally, does this work when calling European cellphones (i.e. do you avoid the tariff for calls originating outside Europe)?
It won't work for calling TO Europe, Asia, etc. It WILL work for calling from Europe, Asia, etc to the USA/Canada. I was in Argentina this past week and used my N800/Gizmo Project/Grand Central to make and receive calls to the USA without problem. I just had to have a good internet connection (McDonalds had them and they were free).