Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
@c0rt3x
do you have any evidence regarding the compass?
BTW, interesting post:
http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...&postcount=842
yes, the N900 has its advantages, but for me FM, TV, IR, camera,
speakers and integrated flash are not so important.
What I like most about the N900 is the Maemo OS, not the hardware.

@mikec, quipper8
a GSM/UTMS version is going to be released in two weeks
(in Germany).

@christexaport
my point here is not the hardware comparison (everybody has different criteria) but how easily the Maemo OS could be ported
to other hardware than the N900.
I'd like to have more freedom so that the hardware does no longer constrain the mobile OS choice.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
I seriously doubt the N900 will have better build quality, having owned many top-end Nokia devices. Don't get me wrong, I'm getting an N900, but I don't think anyone should expect better build quality than the droid.
I'll have to second this: the current plastic Nokia's I've seen recently are far from being well-built. The 5800 feels like a flimsy toy, the N79 WAS a flimsy toy and such...I don't see why the reputation of good build quality still remains. I'm afraid of breaking these new plastic toys when I touch them.

However, my old E70 was built like a TANK, for real. It could take all the punishment in the world, I dropped it on pavement many times. Same with whatever few ones I had before that, sturdy and durable. But I haven't seen them release a phone like that in a while. Also, I've heard of people breaking and servicing their Nokias a lot more lately, having them replaced (I did with the N79 Active) and such, too. Build quality is a myth, I'll believe it when I see it.

(And no, I haven't held a N900.)

I've found some interesting infos about porting a full
Linux to Android hardware:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_on_HTC-Dream

and some proprietary hardware drivers are userspace libraries,
which could be copied form the original firmware and be linked
by Linux applications:
http://www.telesphoreo.org/pipermail...ry/000495.html

so it seems doable!

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
did you see something that said that droid battery life will be better than the n900? I highly doubt it.

Also, reviews on the droid keyboard are coming back pretty rough.

Also, verizon 3g no simultaneous voice and data AFAIK

And android, yuk!

Maemo Fanboy

The Following User Says Thank You to Enyibinakata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
I'll have to second this: the current plastic Nokia's I've seen recently are far from being well-built. The 5800 feels like a flimsy toy, the N79 WAS a flimsy toy and such...I don't see why the reputation of good build quality still remains. I'm afraid of breaking these new plastic toys when I touch them.

However, my old E70 was built like a TANK, for real. It could take all the punishment in the world, I dropped it on pavement many times. Same with whatever few ones I had before that, sturdy and durable. But I haven't seen them release a phone like that in a while. Also, I've heard of people breaking and servicing their Nokias a lot more lately, having them replaced (I did with the N79 Active) and such, too. Build quality is a myth, I'll believe it when I see it.

(And no, I haven't held a N900.)

I totally agree. My n810 is going back to play.com for good as screen just quenched /died all of a sudden. Nokia used to make rock solid devices but times change. I believe it's down to change in management - what sane manager would release the n97 knowing fully well the camera lens cover scratches the lens not to talk of the flimsy build of the 5800 : it's earphone melted away in days. My Moto Razr is still rock solid and does take knocks I believe the droid will match this.

I am into maemo Os but not the flailing, stumbling giant that Nokia has sadly become.

The Following User Says Thank You to Enyibinakata For This Useful Post:
Don't know anything about Nokia's build quality besides the n800 (well I have a Nokia 5130 ExpressMusic now and nothing wrong with .. besides a few odd UI decisions though). Girlfriend's 5130, had two problems (something wrong with the speaker on the second one since it would be extremely fuzzy and the first one just stopped working for some reason the day after we got them).

Though I've dropped my n800 so many times now (sorry buddy it wasn't intentionally) and the only thing it has to show for it is scratches on its bezel and sides.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
1. Droid's keyboard is not good. They have them on demo at Verizon. The d-pad seems worthless, too big and takes up space from the KB. It is very easy to press two keys by mistake and reminds me of the VK as far as usability.

2. The camera seems to suffer the same strange delay as the G1 camera and pictures seemed not much better (comparing on phone screens). Dark area pictures were of course better though.

3. The sd card behind the battery is original N-Gage level lame. I have one so know.

4. They pack a class 2 16gb and no practical room for expansion and swapping is hit by issue 3.

5. The main killer though is the space. The Droid has about 200 megs free space. The other apps that come with the OS take up about 50 of that 256 space.

6. Build quality of Motorola devices is on average poorer compared to Nokia, but assuming anything with Droid and N900 is conjecture for us now.

Still, when all is said and done, they both seem very good devices for their "intended" users. Just be real thrifty on those app installs with Droid.

Android = App juggling

Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
I seriously doubt the N900 will have better build quality, having owned many top-end Nokia devices. Don't get me wrong, I'm getting an N900, but I don't think anyone should expect better build quality than the droid.
A clear majority of the previewers stated that the device feels rock-solid. Of course all companies have their own exceptions.

Fortunately, after todays release in Germany
I can rule out the Motorola Milestone as an alternative to the N900:
for almost the same price it includes only a slow 8GB SDHC card,
no free Navi solution and cannot be used in both EU+US.
and porting the full Maemo stack to an Android seems
to more difficult than I thought...

Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
A clear majority of the previewers stated that the device feels rock-solid. Of course all companies have their own exceptions.
People were saying the same of the N97 before it hit stoes too, exactly the same comments "E-Series build quality" etc etc. It maybe true, but I'll wait until I have one in hand till I make final judgements.