Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
Exactly. Mer seems to have been forgotten now that the N900 is out. All one needs to get an upgrade now is shell out for a superior device.
Nah, working as usual. If anything, Mer work is valuable to contribute to, in case Nokia does decide to not have Maemo6 on N900. In that case, if we start very early, we'll have Maemo6 on N900 by our own effort.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
There's still people interested in Mer. For example, not everyone is happy with the path Nokia is taking. Other people have the N900 and the older internet tablets (like me!) and I still use both. The N900 is for when I am out and about. But at home I switch to the n800.

And there's this

http://mobiletablets.blogspot.com/20...rs-to-all.html

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Can I install the Maemo 5 on the pocket PC like Asus P535?

Is it possible?

1. you need to be able to flash it with an image of your choice
2. it needs to have an arm cpu
3. it will definitely need 3d accelerated graphic drivers, and possibly other drivers for different hardware

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Well, it's Linux, so theoretically it is possible, but it wouldn't be easy, reliable, fast or necessarily smart to do. Every tablet that ran Maemo has had a 800 x 480 screen, so anything smaller wouldn't be a very good idea... I could come up with 200 other reasons to why it wouldn't work for your purposes, but if you want to find them, you can.

If you get a device that has Linux drivers available, has a good enough screen, fast enough processor, or anything else you might need, go ahead, good luck installing it. If not, I'd just pick up a N800 for $100 and wait for Mer^2.

Best of luck.
-fillip

xperia x1 runs winmo, runs andriod through that laucher program (cant recall the name), and the screen res is 800x400 (i think).

So luck might be there with that model.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Maemo 5 on pocket PC" with five posts has been merged into this thread.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Does anyone know how different is Android kernel from Maemo kernel?
Is most of the hardware abstraction handled by Linux kernel, or the Dalvik VM internals and library? Is the kernel accessible? Ie. can I supplant my own init script and run custom binary in place of Dalvik?
Is the Android hardware hackable? Ie. can I get direct access to the root partition and put custom content in?

I'm asking because I would like to get a better piece of hardware than N900 and port Maemo (ie. Mer) on it. But if android hardware is a closed black box, I won't bother.
I don't have experience with Android (and don't want to have any ) and I wouldn't like to spent a lot of money on hardware I could not hack.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
This would be so good.

Tags
fremantle, harmattan, install, iphone, maemo, maemo 4, maemo 5, maemo 6, mer, non-nokia, operating system, palm pre