My boss is literally over my shoulder =0) He says - No.

EDIT:

I want to take some photo samples at the Old Acre and make a comparison against iPhone 7(My Work Phone) and RX100M4. I'm also waiting to see how will it look and how it compares.

Also after few days of use I'll be able to give more precise feedback.

Last edited by DDark; 2019-11-18 at 13:44.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to DDark For This Useful Post:
This phone is a real problem.

I'm stuck with my n900(s) since 10 years (and happy with it).
Keeping telling people to stop buying new phones every year, for environmental/social/political/budget reasons.

But now.... pfff... hard situation

I hope my n900 will not have an accident

Last edited by ric9K; 2019-11-18 at 18:32.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 580 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgium
Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
This phone is a real problem.

I'm stuck with my n900(s) since 10 years (and happy with it).
Keeping telling people to stop buying new phones every year, for environmental/social/political/budget reasons.

But now.... pfff... hard situation

I hope my n900 will not have an accident
A decade is not a year .

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Should be getting my Pro1 in the mail tomorrow. Anyone interested in a video of me unpacking it?

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
More seriously than previous post,

This phone is interesting for replacing the n900.
I feel I'll risk to get blamed to ask this: I read lots of posts here but often too technical for me. So the question:

Is it really sure that this kind of devices (Fx or Purism) offer real privacy?

I know they have open source software and drivers but is it sure that nothing can happen (collect data, position, mic, cam) on a lower layer/level into the hardware?

Sorry if my question is a bit naive.

Thanks

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
Should be getting my Pro1 in the mail tomorrow. Anyone interested in a video of me unpacking it?
Yes, jazeker, do eeet, doen!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
I think all of us here would like to see it, so I say yes, it would be good.

Also it would be good if you could tell your impressions of the first day, also if you could take some photos using Pro1 (maybe also in lighter and darker environment) and if could upload them somewhere in native resolution, that would be more than welcome.

So if you have some time, we are happy to see anything regarding this phone.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:

I know they have open source software and drivers but is it sure that nothing can happen (collect data, position, mic, cam) on a lower layer/level into the hardware?
This is a very good question really... With Pro1 as it ships with Android, the answer is a resounding nope. However it's a somewhat reasonable assumption that privacy is okay when you run a different OS on it like Lineage (which is just Android but with the spying bullcrap and other things taken out / replaced) or Sailfish.

Most of parts of Lineage and Sailfish are open-source as far as I know are open-source (unlike some parts in the normal Android with Google Market Services or what it is), so it can be audited by anyone who wants (which basically means looked at to see if it does anything naughty). But to run on an actual phone they need drivers and in the case of the Pro1 most of that will be down to the SD835 SoC, and it's not as bad as some, but not everything can work without closed-source drivers which could hide code that can not be audited easily.

That said, it's fairly unlikely google/qualcomm/etc would go to the extreme of hiding data mining stuff in the driver code. Maybe the NSA could pay off qualcomm to put a backdoor in the driver? It's possible and not unlikely but personally not something I'd worry about. People just accept the espionage so I don't think they'd go to the effort to hide it sneakily in a driver, which is something that would awaken sleeping dogs if ever found out, have not much benefit, etc.

The Librem 5 was supposed to come without any binary blobs at all at one point in the past, but they have since changed plan I heard. Take this with some salt because I don't follow Purism closely at all, I only know what I've read here: https://jaylittle.com/post/view/2019...ibrem-5-part-1

And of course there is always the human factor... If you enter your personal data on websites in a browser that's not very good for privacy but it works on any device and OS with a browser, beware .

TL;DR: I think Lineage/Sailfish gets you 90% of the way to fairly good privacy. GMS Android is a spyware party. But guarantee there is not, only plausible assumptions.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland

I wouldn't bundle up Purism and Fxtec, as they clearly are very different. Purism is using open source OS and drivers etc, and the whole thing of Purism phone is the openness and the privacy. Fxtec is not open or privacy oriented, but the hwkb is their thing. They ship the phone with Android, which is closed source, and the drivers are too. Even if some more open Linux system comes available for the Pro1, I guess the use of libhybris (android closed source drivers) is needed. Android, as a product of Google, is know of it's way to collect user data. I'm sure that the Android on Fxtec Pro1 does that too. It isn't 'safer' Android than any other Android version (well, speaking of the official versions, not Lineage etc). Most people doesn't care about Google's way to collect user data, but the question is: How much do you care? Personally I don't care too much, but I have other reasons to be upset of Android. But if you are concerned of privacy issues, I'd suggest you to go with Purism or even some traditional phone.

edit: Damn, netman was faster

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 456 times | Joined on Jan 2017 @ Portugal
Congratulations to Chen & Fxtec team. The fruits of your very hard work are finally showing. What a great jorney.
Thank you!!

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to john_god For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit