Notices

step by step for a very very noobs like me (I just tried to simplify the instructions from http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65730, thanks to Veleno and D4rKlar)

note: I only used this method by installing the .deb (preenv game) file first.

required software for n900:
preenv
rootsh
leafpad (or any notepad app for n900)
filebox (under settings, make sure "enable root access" box is checked, "auto select items in clipboard" box is checked, and "delete items from clipboard on Paste" is checked)

step by step modification of some files firstdo not include "")

1. Open Xterm and type "root" then hit enter

2. type "leafpad /usr/sbin/mmc-mount" then hit enter.

3. leafpad will appear and you have to modify the file, remove only the text "noexec", change the value of "fmask" to "000" instead of 0133 and save and close the file.

4. from the xterm type "leafpad /etc/default/mount-opts" then hit enter.

5. leafpad will appear and you have to modify the file:
the first line should appear as:
home_opts="rw,noatime,errors=continue,commit=1,dat a=writeback"
the second line should appear as:
fat_opts="noauto,nodev,nosuid,noatime,nodiratime,u tf8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed,dmask=000,fmask=000, rodir", save and close the file.

6. reboot your phone.

proper installation of games:

1. create a game folder (I used "preenvgames") in home/user/MyDocs

1. download the .deb preenv game (google it, I cannot provide it here, it's kind of illegal) and save it to your n900

2. install the .deb preenv game by just clicking on it. application manager will install it for you.

3. navigate (using filebox) to /opt/preenv/usr/palm/applications, press and hold the game file (example: com.laminar-research.app.xplane-default), copy it.

4. navigate (using filebox) to /home/user/MyDocs/preenvgames and paste the file there (just click the top button on the right and click paste from clipboard)

5. navigate back (using filebox) to /opt/preenv/usr/palm/applications, press and hold the game file (example: com.laminar-research.app.xplane-default), delete it.

6. create a symlink from /opt/preenv/usr/palm/applications (same directory where we deleted the game file). to create a symlink just click on the button on top right and click on "create new symlink", symlink destination will appear and navigate to your gamefile /home/user/MyDocs/preenvgames/gamefile(that is com.something.something.something), you will see now a folder with an arrow (it's kind of a shortcut icon)

7. Launch the game if it is working! (in my case it always works, and it will work for you as well.)

Last edited by fergusso; 2010-12-08 at 01:00.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fergusso For This Useful Post:
Hi,
thank you for explain better the procedure step by step.
I'm sure the unexpert user will appreciate this post

Originally Posted by Veleno View Post
Hi,
thank you for explain better the procedure step by step.
I'm sure the unexpert user will appreciate this post
I'm sure they will because I'm a noob myself as well. so I know a noob will understand this. credit goes to you :-)

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ finland
*manymanycursewords* i made a typo and now my mmc-mount file is empty. is there a way to restore it or do i have to reflash?

or could someome send me the file?

nice.. thread topic.. the noobiest way.. and still i managed to screw it up

got a solution from MohammedAG Thanks

apt-get --reinstall install ke-recv

Last edited by thej80; 2010-12-08 at 18:16.

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 518 times | Joined on May 2010 @ nanaurbusiness
Could someone tell why I have to do steps 1-5? I never did that and all my games are running fine from MyDocs.

:cheers:

..::J4ZZ::..

Originally Posted by J4ZZ View Post
Could someone tell why I have to do steps 1-5? I never did that and all my games are running fine from MyDocs.

:cheers:

..::J4ZZ::..
I don't know the technical explanation to be honest. the thread is about the exact steps i did to make it work in referrence to the thread of veleno :-), at first i tried to just create a symlink without modifying that file it didnt work even i did a restart. it only worked when i modified that file so i suppose it's necessary. can someone who is quite good at this explain why it's necessary. tnx.

Originally Posted by fergusso View Post
step by step for a very very noobs like me (I just tried to simplify the instructions from http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65730, thanks to Veleno and D4rKlar)

note: I only used this method by installing the .deb (preenv game) file first.

required software for n900:
preenv
rootsh
leafpad (or any notepad app for n900)
filebox (under settings, make sure "enable root access" box is checked, "auto select items in clipboard" box is checked, and "delete items from clipboard on Paste" is checked)

step by step modification of some files firstdo not include "")

1. Open Xterm and type "root" then hit enter

2. type "leafpad /usr/sbin/mmc-mount" then hit enter.

3. leafpad will appear and you have to modify the file, remove only the text "noexec", change the value of "fmask" to "000" instead of 0133 and save and close the file.

4. from the xterm type "leafpad /etc/default/mount-opts" then hit enter.

5. leafpad will appear and you have to modify the file:
the first line should appear as:
home_opts="rw,noatime,errors=continue,commit=1,dat a=writeback"
the second line should appear as:
fat_opts="noauto,nodev,nosuid,noatime,nodiratime,u tf8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed,dmask=000,fmask=000, rodir", save and close the file.

6. reboot your phone.

proper installation of games:

1. create a game folder (I used "preenvgames") in home/user/MyDocs

1. download the .deb preenv game (google it, I cannot provide it here, it's kind of illegal) and save it to your n900

2. install the .deb preenv game by just clicking on it. application manager will install it for you.

3. navigate (using filebox) to /opt/preenv/usr/palm/applications, press and hold the game file (example: com.laminar-research.app.xplane-default), copy it.

4. navigate (using filebox) to /home/user/MyDocs/preenvgames and paste the file there (just click the top button on the right and click paste from clipboard)

5. navigate back (using filebox) to /opt/preenv/usr/palm/applications, press and hold the game file (example: com.laminar-research.app.xplane-default), delete it.

6. create a symlink from /opt/preenv/usr/palm/applications (same directory where we deleted the game file). to create a symlink just click on the button on top right and click on "create new symlink", symlink destination will appear and navigate to your gamefile /home/user/MyDocs/preenvgames/gamefile(that is com.something.something.something), you will see now a folder with an arrow (it's kind of a shortcut icon)

7. Launch the game if it is working! (in my case it always works, and it will work for you as well.)

The copy using filebox is not working. When I click on paste, it is throwing an error "Nothing to Paste". I enabled the root access in my filebox. Is there any other way to copy the game files?