Posts: 24 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ washington
Hi , I have a movie with high capacity ( more than 4gb) and I can not put it in my Nokia N900 as other lower capacity movies. Pls help me to solve this problem. Thanks

The problem is likely because the main storage space of the N900 is formatted as FAT32 which caps out at 4 GBs per file size. Thus if you want to put a bigger file on there you may have to re-format the storage drive into a type that can support bigger files (like EXT2).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your information, and how can I change the mass storage to put the bigger video in my phone ?

its reasonably tricky, and will mean you will only be able to read/write to the n900 over the usb cable from a linux machine (ubuntu or similar). So I'm really not sure you want to do this. How about you use 7-zip and split the large movie file up into smaller volumes?

I'm assuming you just want to transfer it somewhere, seeing as theres not much chance of the n900 being powerful enough able to play back such a huge file..

The Following User Says Thank You to jabawok For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by jabawok View Post
will mean you will only be able to read/write to the n900 over the usb cable from a linux machine (ubuntu or similar).
Can't Windows 7 and OS X read EXT2 and 3 now?
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Can't Windows 7 and OS X read EXT2 and 3 now?
Don't know about Windows 7, but OS X certainly can't.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Windows 7 and ext3?

*checks temperature in hell* ... nah, not yet frozen over...

There is a 3rd party driver to read/write ext2 for Windows, though. But Microsoft still pretends such a filesystem does not exist.

May I suggest you DIVx the video.

The Following User Says Thank You to impatient For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by impatient View Post
May I suggest you DIVx the video.
Xvid, please. We're all open source fans here.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Because the mass storage of N900 so huge, and I thought it like a hard drive of a computer, and properly there is a way to format it.