does anyone know of a simple video chat program which is compatible with mac os x ? skype does not support video chat for us os 2008 ers. gizmo does not support video chat for mac os. or did i miss something.

I've been hoping for skype to add video function but the closest we have to such (for tablet to pc video calls) is Gizmo Project. I believe you need version 4 which is beta and only for Windows currently.

Skype could certainly do it, because the 2.0 beta for Linux has video, and works well on the Eee PC. Recompiling it for the ARM processor in maemo should certainly be possible. Somebody should be doing this soon because the camera in the N8x0 is pretty worthless without it.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
There isn't one at the moment. The tablet camera and maemo supports various protocols that don't seem to have made it into mainstream video use. Its a glaring omission, maybe some day a SIP client will comeout with support maybe even Skype but apart from Gizmo 4 there are no solutions.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
There isn't one at the moment. The tablet camera and maemo supports various protocols that don't seem to have made it into mainstream video use. Its a glaring omission, maybe some day a SIP client will comeout with support maybe even Skype but apart from Gizmo 4 there are no solutions.
Video does work over SIP already in OS2008. The PC client just needs to support h263 or h263+ video. I'm not sure what the SIP options are like in the Mac world, but I've been using it via Eyebeam under Windows.

How do I enable video chat over the N810. I have tried Gizmo from a Windows and Linux to the N810 and it does not transfer video. I have tried the software "motion" for the N800, and it streams video on http://ip-address-here:8081 for about 2 seconds and dies from an input/output error. Is there a way to test if video works on the N810? Is there software to record snippits of video locally? If so, please link me to the .deb (arm architecture), .install, or repository.

Thanks.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Well, Gizmo does work, but you need their latest PC software and the video is pretty poor IMO. If you just want to make sure your camera works, look for the thread titled Videocamera that being discussed today.

Last edited by Moonshine; 2008-02-20 at 05:12.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any programs that would work with Mac OSX. In theory, iChat could do it (you can do video between two macs between google accounts), but it does not support the right set of protocols/codecs (speex for sound and H263 for video).

On the same google account, I can do video between 2 Nokias or videos between 2 macs, using the built-in nokia client, or iChat. Between Nokia and osx, I can only do text chat. Bummer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jerome For This Useful Post: