Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
now a new word "elop" will be added to dictionary meaning backstabbing bit*h, a trojan.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Just to make couple of things clear.
Microsoft bought Nokia's Devices & Services. So in revenue MS bought half of Nokia. The part that isn't making any profit.

Nokia keeps NSN, HERE and Advanced Technologies. What is Advanced Technologies?

Our Advanced Technologies business will build on several of Nokia’s current CTO and Intellectual Property Rights activities.Advanced Technologies will explore new business opportunities through advanced research, development and concept products in areas such as connectivity, sensing and material technologies, as well as web and cloud technologies. At the same time, Advanced Technologies plans to continue to build Nokia’s patent portfolio from this innovation and targets to expand its industry-leading technology licensing program, spanning technologies that enable mobility today and tomorrow.
Nokia did not sell its patents, it licensed them to MS for 10 years. Nokia got patent licenses from MS for HERE.

I think in general this is best news a while for all Maemo and Jolla fans. There is bound to be more Nokia fans joining Jolla. Might not be much, but still.

It also makes Nokia once again profitable company with quite a bit of cash and not attached to WP anymore.
Nokia jumping into smartphones might not happen soon, or not at all. I got a feeling Advanced Technologies will serve for some devices in the future, even as they might not be smartphones.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by tissot View Post

Nokia jumping into smartphones might not happen soon, or not at all. I got a feeling Advanced Technologies will serve for some devices in the future, even as they might not be smartphones.
Certainly not soon, since the deal made spesificly prohibits Nokia from making any phones until 2016.

But overall I agree with you. This was the best realistic solution for Nokia in 2013.

I suppose that it's natural for me, as a finn, to think about how many times Nokia has reinvented itself during it's history. I guess this deal gives small hope of something rising from the ashes. The realist in me just thinks that too much was destroyed, too many gifted people lost, too many technolgies haxed and on the whole the spirit of Nokia crushed during the last few years. Wait and see, but not holding my breath.

Nokia is now basicly an Ericcson. How Sweden and Finland went from dominating the whole mobile into being peripheral part of it so quickly... well another thing for business schools to think about.

Last edited by Rauha; 2013-09-03 at 11:25.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Certainly not soon, since the deal made spesificly prohibits Nokia from making any phones until 2016.

But overall I agree with you. This was the best realistic solution for Nokia in 2013.

I suppose that it's natural for me, as a finn, to think about how many times Nokia has reinvented itself during it's history. I guess this deal gives small hope of something rising from the ashes. The realist in me just thinks that too much was destroyed, too many gifted people lost, too many technolgies haxed and on the whole the spirit of Nokia crushed during the last few years. Wait and see, but not holding my breath.

Nokia is now basicly an Ericcson. How Sweden and Finland went from dominating the whole mobile into being peripheral part of it so quickly... well another thing for business schools to think about.
Nokia is indeed pretty much exactly like Ericsson. Imo most surprising part was that Nokia kept HERE. In a way its kind if illogical part to keep for a company that would only aim to be network and engineering house.

My understanding was that Nokia is restricted to use the Nokia branding on their products till 2016. Though nothing stops them for making smartphones in general.
I can see Advanced Technologies gearing for something totally different than pure smartphones. That said as long as they don't suddenly buy Jolla, we will be waiting for 2 years for the very least before any hardware. Again, if that's to even happen.

Microsoft has agreed to a 10 year license arrangement with Nokia to use the Nokia brand on current Mobile Phones products. Nokia will continue to own and maintain the Nokia brand. Under the terms of the transaction, Microsoft has agreed to a 10 year license arrangement with Nokia to use the Nokia brand on current and subsequently developed products based on the Series 30 and Series 40 operating systems. Upon the closing of the transaction, Nokia would be restricted from licensing the Nokia brand for use in connection with mobile device sales for 30 months and from using the Nokia brand on Nokia’s own mobile devices until December 31, 2015.
Via http://press.nokia.fi/2013/09/03/nok...ljardia-euroa/

Last edited by tissot; 2013-09-03 at 11:58.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It all makes sense in the grand scheme of things. Ballmer is retiring and they had to keep Nokia manufacturing phones for them until others jump on the wp8 bandwagon. Nokia board engineered it all well and got rid of many headaches.

Now, what's the possibility of buying Jolla by Nokia?

Anyone knows the details of Nokia's non-competition agreement with M$ in his deal.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I am curious what the phones will be called. They are bound to change the name too.

Now, the US is now meaningfully conquering the mobile market (hardware and software) after lagging behind for quite some years....

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
It all makes sense in the grand scheme of things. Ballmer is retiring and they had to keep Nokia manufacturing phones for them
Very true. Without this smart move Nokia would sure have slipped thru their greasy fingers...

until others jump on the wp8 bandwagon.
And that will happen like.... ...well, NEVER.
No sane company will risk it all playing bedmates with MS ever again. Or if they do, they sure deserve the fate they get!

Nokia board engineered it all well and got rid of many headaches.
Again the greedy capitalists played their dirty games and guess who got thrown the gnawed bones...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I am curious what the phones will be called. They are bound to change the name too.
And why should they do that?
AFAIK the Lumia brand was created for this purpose only, to differentiate from Nokia and fade that brand to the background.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
espionage, trojan man