Can anyone give me any pointers on running kismet. I have it installed. Do I need to edit kismet.conf like on a regular install.

Am I supposed to just start it as usual at the xterm type kismet. If yes and it is not working do you have any ideas?

I looked in /var/log and found nothing useful.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Install kismet and - with wifi disconnected - run kismet at the command line with the command "kismet". If you experience any bugs, the author of kismet would rather you discussed kismet on the kismet forum.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
don't forget to run kismet in root

Thanks that was it. I needed to gain root. But I thought that since getting root had so many hurdles that kismet was set up to launch as a non-privileged user

I installed becomeroot from here

http://eko.one.pl/maemo/index.php?pa...Fbinary-armel/

And then read and followed some of this

http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HowDoiBecomeRoot2

the magic words were

sudo gainroot

I believe that after exiting Kismet you need to reboot your 770 since it won't take the wi-fi adapter out of promiscuous mode.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Northwoods of Wisconsin
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
I believe that after exiting Kismet you need to reboot your 770 since it won't take the wi-fi adapter out of promiscuous mode.
Just an FYI... this is not always the case... I have found that more that 50% of the time the wi-fi adapter continues to work just fine.
Alltel Wireless

Yes I have found the by hitting the power button and going into offline, then back to online mode, the wifi adapter will work again if it gets stuck in promiscious mode.

Hey, I was just thinking.
I read that Kismet doesn't show power levels because it's not supported in the driver on the 770.
But, when I click to select an access point (not in Kismet, but from the OS), I see power levels!
Doesn't that mean it is in the driver somewhere?
(I mean, I suppose it's possible that Nokia uses the driver for everything, but uses direct hardware for power levels, but why would they do that???)

Just thinking out loud.

desiv

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Northwoods of Wisconsin
good question...
Alltel Wireless