Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
not connected at all. glueing screen and glass together is ONLY marketing issue, there's no other reason behind this.
Actually, I think HtheB just mentioned a very good reason in his earlier reply:

Originally Posted by HtheB
I've worked at a phone repair shop, and believe me, they were a pain to get them clean! Once opened, it never is as good as before, while the screens glued to the digitizers had never problems. This is why they are not separate anymore.
Also, in response to this:

Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
My Nexus 5 does this; as I discovered when I attempted to purchase a replacement screen, but inadvertently got only a digitizer.
That does not necessarily say much about the original product design. Were the parts you bought/received original replacement parts? Or are the screen parts (glass plate, digitizer, screen) simply sold separately on the 'aftermarket' (E-bay, etc.)?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
My Nexus 5 does this; as I discovered when I attempted to purchase a replacement screen, but inadvertently got only a digitizer.
I have replaced quite many screens on Lumia 920. Digitizer is glued. Had to be very careful to order whole screen, not only digitizer.

So, what you find on sale, does not necessarily reflect the reality.
I know it is possible to replace only the digitizer on Lumia 920, but it is very hard to manage in it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
but everyone has their own priorities and they might lack some common sense and it's totally okay...
I thought the common sense thing to do would be not to drop your phone so much, or if you really cant help it then get a massive protective case.

Or maybe im just lucky to have never broken a screen on a device ever

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
As much as I like seeing preorder numbers climb, these are non-committal, meaning you can back out at any time. Real worth will prove itself when it comes to actual sales.
Even without any formal marketing, there's obviously demand for a device like this (about 5k customers). Maybe more if the device gets a lot of publicity and positive feedback. I'd love to know if there's a quota they need to fill

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
there's obviously demand for a device like this (about 5k customers).
You're about 50% off there, it's over 8600 atm.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
You're about 50% off there, it's over 8600 atm.
Preorder started around 27-02-19 17:54 and the first member we can "track" is 4805.
Either there where ~4800 pre pre orders F(x) already gathered upfront, or we relatively securely guess ~3800 currently.

Has anyone checked if 4800 is a lucky number in china I know the 8 is. Only guessing from personal experience though. (Behold, another sushi OT) 2014 i did a take-away-sushi trial phase with a local (chinese native) wholeseller, he started order numbers for all new products at 888.

For F(x) it is still a volume > 2.4 mil.$ before taxes at minimum assumption. Minus guessed taxes ~20% they got more than 1.9mil to work with if everyone keeps the preorder promise.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Preorder started around 27-02-19 17:54 and the first member we can "track" is 4805.
Either there where ~4800 pre pre orders F(x) already gathered upfront, or we relatively securely guess ~3800 currently.

Has anyone checked if 4800 is a lucky number in china I know the 8 is. Only guessing from personal experience though. (Behold, another sushi OT) 2014 i did a take-away-sushi trial phase with a local (chinese native) wholeseller, he started order numbers for all new products at 888.

For F(x) it is still a volume > 2.4 mil.$ before taxes at minimum assumption. Minus guessed taxes ~20% they got more than 1.9mil to work with if everyone keeps the preorder promise.
Wonder what the profit margins are like on this device. Assuming they're making at least 300 per device that's easily over 1 million in profit. I just hope they're successful. I want the qwerty phone to come back and stay that way. Been so many years and it would suck to only have this one device and then die out again

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I hope we can put Android Q on this device. It allows a desktop mode and floating apps which can can move around the screen.

https://www.xda-developers.com/android-q-desktop-mode/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Assuming they're making at least 300 per device
That sounds way to high.
If your "making" is my profit, over the thumb 1/3 before taxes is a healthy calculation.
I would not even wonder if it is only 1/4 or less for first product.
Between 100$ and 170$ is my guess.

There are much more things to consider before making profit than production costs. Like development costs, wages for the whole team, handling returns, a nice office, the obligatory ferrari.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post

I hope that 4800 is a lucky number

Edit: I ordered at 17:57

Last edited by mcdinner; 2019-03-14 at 19:30.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mcdinner For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit