Posts: 55 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ India
Originally Posted by brkn View Post
EDIT: after having found this thread/post I read the following posts and tried using develsh as well like that
Code:
develsh
bash /opt/prey/prey.sh > /home/user/MyDocs/Downloads/prey.log
Worked!
good to know it works.
anything i should do make it work on installation?
nobody else reported a problem, and it worked for me without openmode/inception on my N950. so not sure what to do.
is developer mode enabled on ur device?

regarding traceroute, i will try including it when i'm a bit more free. or maybe add it as an optional dependency and point to where to download it from

Originally Posted by student4life View Post
good to know it works.
anything i should do make it work on installation?
nobody else reported a problem, and it worked for me without openmode/inception on my N950. so not sure what to do.
is developer mode enabled on ur device?

regarding traceroute, i will try including it when i'm a bit more free. or maybe add it as an optional dependency and point to where to download it from
Developer mode is on yes.
Just checked out your git repository, will take a look at it later. Will post back once I have results.

The Following User Says Thank You to brkn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
I have Front Camera app as well, but it captures a pic for me anyway. Is it possible to make it capture pics from front AND back camera as well? Maybe the phone can be lost up-side down too. You never know.

You said Prey periodically checks the control panel for status change. How often is "periodically"? I've kept my device laying around while it was not connected to GPRS or WiFi, but it didn't try to connect, even for an hour. Maybe because WLAN scanning is switched off? It only seems to work if it's already connected.

Is it possible to force a connection through Prey? It would impact battery life, but maybe a condition can be given that if a device isn't moved from standby state for 3-4 hours or more, then force connection and check control panel to see if it's missing. If no, disconnect connection. If yes, do whatever actions it is supposed to do.

Maybe impossible, but worth a try?

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

Originally Posted by flopjoke View Post
I have Front Camera app as well, but it captures a pic for me anyway. Is it possible to make it capture pics from front AND back camera as well? Maybe the phone can be lost up-side down too. You never know.

You said Prey periodically checks the control panel for status change. How often is "periodically"? I've kept my device laying around while it was not connected to GPRS or WiFi, but it didn't try to connect, even for an hour. Maybe because WLAN scanning is switched off? It only seems to work if it's already connected.

Is it possible to force a connection through Prey? It would impact battery life, but maybe a condition can be given that if a device isn't moved from standby state for 3-4 hours or more, then force connection and check control panel to see if it's missing. If no, disconnect connection. If yes, do whatever actions it is supposed to do.

Code:
dbus-send --print-reply --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:"[ANY]" uint32:0
works for me.

Originally Posted by flopjoke View Post

the prey control panel currently supports only one cam photo per report. after discussion with thedead1440, it was decided to sent front cam photo. the scripts can be modified to sent either front or back cam snaps. another option is to take both cam snaps, and combine them into single image using imagemagick

the report frequency can be set from the control panel. when u mark it as missing

presently there is no forced autoconnect to internet. Basically i dont know how to force autoconnect, and i'm starved for time to explore how to do it. if somebody can write that script, I can use it in prey.

prey need not run periodically(default now, and the easiest way). it can also be triggered by other means(e.g SMS). To check for status and sent report, just call the below command with proper permissions and redirection for log messages
/opt/prey/prey.sh

The Following User Says Thank You to student4life For This Useful Post:
presently there is no forced autoconnect to internet. Basically i dont know how to force autoconnect, and i'm starved for time to explore how to do it. if somebody can write that script, I can use it in prey.
You could use
Code:
dbus-send --print-reply --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:"[ANY]" uint32:0
to connect to any saved network or add an option in config file to specify AP to connect to (name of 3g connection).

You could use
Code:
to connect to any saved network or add an option in config file to specify AP to connect to (name of 3g connection).
thanks. will try to add it.
will it work for WiFi networks also?

thanks. will try to add it.
will it work for WiFi networks also?
Affirmative. I am using this in PirateBox to reconnect once I restore network.

Works perfectly. Frontcam pic is taken.

Works perfectly. Coordinates are correct (GPS is enabled).
hey man , how you fixed the problems with the front camera photo ? and I tried to do but nothing , I modify the files (functions and takePhoto ) and I still have the problem Camera not ready

Originally Posted by panukooo View Post
hey man , how you fixed the problems with the front camera photo ? and I tried to do but nothing , I modify the files (functions and takePhoto ) and I still have the problem Camera not ready
I did not fix it yet. It works if you use the previously posted command to manually run prey.