Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
It is interesting, but like all the other watches it doesn't replace the phone/ pocket device. It's just one more thing to weigh you down. It's no trouble to look in my pocket for the time. Price is nice.
In wearable tech I subscribe to Ludwig Mies van der Rohe's philosophy "less is more" (in some situations I like the Robert Venturi rebuttle "Less is a bore".)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bradvesp For This Useful Post:
This could be neat! We haven't really had an option for smartwatches that work with SailfishOS since the Pebble.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
This could be neat! We haven't really had an option for smartwatches that work with SailfishOS since the Pebble.
I fear on Sailfish there will be the same authentification showstopper for a client connected via BTLE like the AsteroidOS client Starfish has hit?
It is ~one year ago now that kido asked Jolla to up the BTLE game but no change(?).

Originally Posted by bradvesp View Post
It is interesting, but like all the other watches it doesn't replace the phone/ pocket device.
Imo it will never be a replacement until screen and device gets finally separated again. The wrist space is just to small to put more info than Time and Notifications and still be able to read it from sensefull distance. That however i liked when using Pebble and asteroidOS watches.
I only got away from having one on my wrist again since all models i had where uncomfortable to wear or even hurted after some time. Not a watch guy obviously or i simply have not found a comfy one.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Where is the keyboard, like in old Casio watches?
Or like in µWatch:
http://www.calcwatch.com/index.html
Maybe we should help him to make special edition µWatch N900 with Maemo Lite?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
The wrist space is just to small to put more info than Time and Notifications and still be able to read it from sensefull distance.
Actually old MSX computer maximum screen resolution 256x192 fits easy to wrist. Some one had even used it for word prosessing, spreadsheet or even program with C-language.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Success or failure will depend on attracting an active dev community and easy to use dev tools.
I mostly just use my pebble as a watch with changeable faces(reminders or for fun), daily reminders, and a cooking timer. But it shines when I am driving or cycling and I need to see the start of an SMS, caller ID, or bump the next song on my N900 jacked into aux or bluetooth audio.
I wonder if it will be Pebble compatible as I recall it runs freeRTOS as the pebble did.
If you approach it as a watch not a laptop as Pebble did you can put much useful function on the watch as well as fune but useless fluff.
But it needs an easily replaced battery and a screen connector which doesn't come loose filling the screen with artifacts as Pebbles do.
A backup time-only function fallback with a long life battery for dead recharge battery situations would also be quite useful.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
Actually old MSX computer maximum screen resolution 256x192 fits easy to wrist. Some one had even used it for word prosessing, spreadsheet or even program with C-language.
Once upon a time I suppose I could have seen using a C=64 or Apple ][ on a wrist-size device . . . now that that resolution is possible in that form factor I can't even imagine being able to use it.

I wonder if the development of this watch means that pine has a bluetooth version of their padi in the works. Looking at the case on the "Shinning Watch", a 16x24mm module could certainly fit. "Fully Fit, Only Wonderful" . . . are four words that can be typed on a keyboard.

Also, "Shinning Watch"?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Once upon a time I suppose I could have seen using a C=64 or Apple ][ on a wrist-size device . . . now that that resolution is possible in that form factor I can't even imagine being able to use it.
Ooof, memories of not enough screen... using a TRS-80 on a B/W 10 inch TV doing homework using a word processor cartridge that skipped between left and right side. You couldn't see what the document really looked like until you ran it out the BREEEEEP Breeeeeeeeep!! brrraaap braaap dot matrix printer.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
If this runs freertos.org
It would have an _immediate_ commercial market.
if it has GPS and some kind of low-latency physical interface.

Serious

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post: