Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
They do have delusions of being the FOSS Apple, but who knows maybe there's a market [...]
Watching how surprisingly well this works for Purism and System76 for laptops, PCs and servers, plus others for niche products (e.g. Turris), it is understandable to view a smartphone commercially feasible this way too (with an "own" operation system), at first sight.

But I have the impression that they massively underestimated the task of creating and maintaining a completely new GNU/Linux based software stack for a smartphone.
Hopefully Purism will survive this endeavour.

OTOH, just to provide the hardware and FLOSS boot-firmware (usually Coreboot with a specific "payload" for boot device discovery and loading an OS kernel), as Raptor Computing Systems and PC engines do, is currently not well feasible for a smartphone: A common boot-loader mechanism is usually missing.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
[...] Let's see what shows up at my door step!
... and when!

Last edited by olf; 2019-08-27 at 20:08.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
https://puri.sm/posts/purism-cto-pre...dom-at-cccamp/

The article doesn't bring anything new to the table (when you ignore all the wanking over how godly their CTO is...) besides a picture of the PCB.
Maybe the video is actually better (can't watch, I'm on the job) ?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by British View Post
I can't seem to watch it all . . . even after playing a short game of browser-go-round. Some kinda javascript issue, maybe. Ugh.

Ed. Nevermind, was running program in background that (inadvertently) blocks videos in browsers by grabbing audio system. The new stuff in the talk seems to be about the specific hardware challenges. I don't think I can get through the whole 45 minutes in one sitting.

Last edited by robthebold; 2019-08-29 at 14:57.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I am not a professional HW engineer but work alot with sofware engineer near the HW at a company that makes cellular stuff. And one thing is sure: cellular PCI(or .m2) modules makes alot of heat.

And that start make me wonder how do they get rid of all the heat? If I look at the image they also has some chips directly under the PCI slots............

Now... I want to see the PCB and schematic kicad's ASAP instead of this marketing hyping about open schematics... Since Q3 is almost done.

I am sure linux gamer will discuss this comming podcast and again without any critics.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2019-08-29 at 16:48.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by British View Post
https://puri.sm/posts/purism-cto-pre...dom-at-cccamp/

The article doesn't bring anything new to the table (when you ignore all the wanking over how godly their CTO is...) besides a picture of the PCB.
Some interesting stuff on the video and some questions at the end so recommend it as generic video about hw and how hard it is get open HW/drivers etc... But not so much news about librem HW itself...

One can hope they release the kicads sonish on http://source.puri.sm...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Weren't they having heating issues from the start as well. So you assertions might be correct.

x

Last edited by xman; 2019-08-29 at 21:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I am not a professional HW engineer but work alot with sofware engineer near the HW at a company that makes cellular stuff. And one thing is sure: cellular PCI(or .m2) modules makes alot of heat.

And that start make me wonder how do they get rid of all the heat?
For a small additional cost you can get a case that has a compartment for ice cubes...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Some more progress. Starting, to get there. As long as it doesn't overheat but how is that problem solved? Reduce clockspeed?

https://puri.sm/posts/the-librem-5-a...ibility-chart/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Release dates: https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-shipping-announcement/

Now that sounds somewhat realistic WRT the hardware: The finalised Librem1 hardware is planned to be delivered in batch "Evergreen" (Q2/2020).

For the software stack, making a release similar to SailfishOS 1.0 at the same time (Q2/2020) still sounds like "best case planning" to me, but appears to be definitely feasible sometime in 2020, given the current state of the software stack.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olf View Post
Release dates: https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-shipping-announcement/

Now that sounds somewhat realistic WRT the hardware: The finalised Librem1 hardware is planned to be delivered in batch "Evergreen" (Q2/2020).

For the software stack, making a release similar to SailfishOS 1.0 at the same time (Q2/2020) still sounds like "best case planning" to me, but appears to be definitely feasible sometime in 2020, given the current state of the software stack.
Hi. Thanks for this post. I don't quite understand. It looks like they are shipping different batches over time with incremental improvements to HW and SW. Its not clear to me why I would want the early batch if the device is inferior to the one you get in the next batch. Especially if the hardware is improved with later batches. Can anyone help explain?
Anyways, the first batches are Sepember and they have several additional batches till Q2 2020.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: