Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Maybe Bill Gates will, in a philanthropic gesture, provide the rest of the campaign needs...
You can contact them here, but you need a great reason...

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/

Asset Trust Endowment: $36.4 billion

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-07-31 at 15:34.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
You can contact them here, but you need a great reason...

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/
*ring**ring*
You:"Dear Mr. Gates, please fund our Ubuntu Project"

Mr Gates: "Ubuntu? Does it run windows phone 8?"

*tuut*tuut*tuut* - line dead -

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North America
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
It's gonna happen if Mike wants it to, cause a few $M is just not that much for Shuttleworth. Unless if he has already planned all along to make this just a 'free' publicity ride (and market research) before the main event.
what Mark I guess didnt get is a smartphone didnt get in every pocket because people were *looking* for mobile desktops.

People just wanted the most powerful/capable devices out there. (only reason I hook my n900 up to my large-format display is because its reliably available when other PC's arent and I want to play a youtube clip...)

720px wide/4.5" screen (just under what the Nexus4 provides) was the wrong move. If he wanted 32M$ of backers in 30 days he should have just embarassed all the flagship mobiles with insane storage, RAM, processing capacity, battery, and a competitive screen.

To get real breakout appeal it had to be 1080px wide and ~4.7". One it had backers and got in peoples pockets *then* they could all find out the utility of converged/mobile computing.
...terribly clumsy way to get his market data otherwise

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North America
4.5in "optimized" for one hand input/not willing to adapt UX to high density screen is a bad reason to sink your whole project.

i'd think a little harder about how one might "optimize" a flexible swipe-ui software to support a display all of 0.2" diagonal larger.. unless he's got a strategy to produce a smaller run for less $$Millions.

even worse excuse if they keep using terrible pinch-to-zoom gestures.

The problem, in my opinion, is not the screen, but the price. Donation pace was a-okay when the price was right, record-setting in fact. The price went too high to $800+ the first time around, and the sales nearly stopped. They did a rethink of pricing, brought it back down, and sales took off again. Prices again rose above the $700 level and the sales pretty much stopped again.

If we want this phone to get made, the number of units sold must be such to accommodate a sales price in the sub $700 range, which gives you a donation pace equal to the deadline schedule. It's simple math.

At $675, the Edge's specs and capabilities make it a no-brainer for many, but at the $700–$830 range, then not so much.

Shuttlesworth likes to say he wants to listen to the marketplace, so listen! People want the device at $675 or so. He'll simply have to make enough to make that happen.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
The problem, in my opinion, is not the screen, but the price. Donation pace was a-okay when the price was right, record-setting in fact. The price went too high to $800+ the first time around, and the sales nearly stopped. They did a rethink of pricing, brought it back down, and sales took off again. Prices again rose above the $700 level and the sales pretty much stopped again.

If we want this phone to get made, the number of units sold must be such to accommodate a sales price in the sub $700 range, which gives you a donation pace equal to the deadline schedule. It's simple math.

At $675, the Edge's specs and capabilities make it a no-brainer for many, but at the $700–$830 range, then not so much.

Shuttlesworth likes to say he wants to listen to the marketplace, so listen! People want the device at $675 or so. He'll simply have to make enough to make that happen.
If you trying to build a $830 device with latest spec and using new tech to push the market forward, you can't sell it for $600. So it's not the price. The users are simply not ready for a top notch device with a new OS. they simply don't want it. unless they get i for free

I still love that the are trying. In my opinion, this is so much cooler than everything else on the market. Even a failed campaign makes it the coolest thing. Smart move by canonical and it shows the smartness and boldness. can't wait to run a working OS on my android devices until we see a real Ubuntu device.

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-01 at 11:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Canonical posted an announcement 1 hour ago

LastPass backs Ubuntu Edge Campaign

The Ubuntu Edge campaign has new backing from LastPass, provider of the leading online secure password management tool. The company will bundle a free one-year LastPass Premium subscription with every Ubuntu Edge device, up until the campaign reaches its funding goal of $32 million.

“Ubuntu Edge is pushing the boundaries of mobile devices as we know them, introducing the best hardware and most innovative software and convergence capabilities” comments Joe Siegrist, CEO LastPass. “LastPass Premium offers security continuity from a user’s PC to their mobile, we feel this is an excellent match for a converged device.”

LastPass makes web browsing faster, easier and more secure by providing encrypted logins to all your favourite websites with a single master password. Just point LastPass to the website you want to use and it will automatically log you in, so you don’t need to remember hundreds of password and username combinations. It will even fill in your shopping form with personal details securely stored in the LastPass Vault.

Lastpass Premium can be used at home, at work or on the go, with support for a wide variety of mobile, PC and tablet platforms. It also includes multi-factor authentication features and priority customer support.

We are thrilled to see industry leaders backing the Ubuntu Edge, and we thank LastPass for their continued commitment to innovation.

If you want to sponsor the Ubuntu Edge campaign, email us at indiegogoinfo@canonical.com

Not that I will use it so I hope it will be possible to uninstall...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-01 at 11:31.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@bjv: you're right. If it fails, it must be because of the screen. Because everyone looks to screen resolution first and foremost. Everyone needs 1080p on their 4.5" display.

@Hacker: they need to balance out the price level and exclusivity\time pressure. If they just opened it at $600 fixed price and no quota, then everyone will wait til the last minute to order and end up forgetting. At any rate, if they think the price is the issue, there's no stopping them from doing another "Oops, let's back the price down again and give y'all some refund." round.

Let's see what they'll do within the next few days. The alarm bells must be ringing in canonical the past few days and their marketing team must be already preparing few things to try correct the course.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
http://ubuntu-edge.info/#total

a bit depressing...
about 3M under goal at this time.

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
http://ubuntu-edge.info/#total

a bit depressing...
about 3M under goal at this time.
Yes, the world won't see ubuntu edge. Lucky Samsung, google and apple.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: