Has anybody tried http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HowT..._From_MMC_card on their nokia 770 with OS2007HE? How well does it work? I'm scared to run fanoush's initfs flasher and he hasn't responded to my message asking about it w/ the hacker ed. OS.

Haven't tried 2007HE but am running a copy of 2006 from the MMC w/o a hitch. I followed instructions here as they are slightly more detailed. The claim that it will run faster did not turn out to be the case for me though.
Will try 2007HE as soon as the new drop is available.

Last edited by sisenor; 2007-08-04 at 21:30.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by cjtenny View Post
Has anybody tried http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HowT..._From_MMC_card on their nokia 770 with OS2007HE? How well does it work? I'm scared to run fanoush's initfs flasher and he hasn't responded to my message asking about it w/ the hacker ed. OS.
In general there is no difference between booting 2006 and 2007, the procedure is same. This question was asked and answered here couple of times. Also hacker edition has same kernel and initfs as latest 2006 release so this is another reason why it is same.

Sorry for not responding for PM related to this but I'm quite tired of answering same questions again and again. Also sending PM is not a good idea unless you are 100% sure nobody else can answer your question. Using the forum (and already existing thread) is much better. Check also this http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#forum

I know searching is hard now since many newbies are not bothered with searching and/or think they deserve their very own thread for things already asked and answered. I see new thread about booting from MMC popping up every couple of days. Pretty bad for finding useful answer later :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

I have successfully booted from OS2007HE from mmc, just followed the same description.
I believe I was not the first.

Heres the way I found was the easy way

1 become root
2install osso-term
3 install openssh
4 download putty to computer
5 go to putty type in root@192.168.x.x what your nokia ip address is
when it ask for password type rootme

6 goto http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HowT..._From_MMC_card

follow all instructions and just copy the code from the page to putty

and it will install the dual boot menu and copy the os to your mmc card

without all that typing on your nokia .

I use this method and it only takes a few minuites to complete

versus an hour of typing .

0s 2007 he on mmc works fine if your card support faster speeds via

fanoush's mmc speed mod.

I really liked booting from the mmc but there were some problems that is making me go back. Unless I am missing something of course.

1) How can I put my mp3 on the card? I have about 1 gb of them.

This is what I mean after conversion df -h shows

Code:
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p2            2.0M      1.9M     96.0k  95% /mnt/initfs
none                    512.0k     36.0k    476.0k   7% /mnt/initfs/tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p2            1.4G    165.9M      1.2G  12% /
none                    512.0k     36.0k    476.0k   7% /tmp
none                      1.0M     60.0k    964.0k   6% /dev
/dev/mmcblk0p1          468.5M         0    468.5M   0% /media/mmc1

Flashing the whole OS2006 or OS2007 image (I used the official windows flasher) will reset everything to original, inc kernel etc even removes the dual boot menu.