Active Topics

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Went through this 8 megapixel mega shootout: Picture this in gsmarena and got bit disappointed on how the N9 camera performed despite Nokia claiming biggest aperture and Carl Zeiss optics.. Just wanna share my disappointment.

EDIT: Video camera performance is even the worst among others in the competition.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaeezzy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
Went through this 8 megapixel mega shootout: Picture this in gsmarena and got bit disappointed on how the N9 camera performed despite Nokia claiming biggest aperture and Carl Zeiss optics.. Just wanna share my disappointment.

EDIT: Video camera performance is even the worst among others in the competition.
yup. i have real life experience with both the N9 and the legendary N8. N8 is simply lightyears ahead in terms of video quality, especially when using digital zoom.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I don't know about N8 picture quality (obviously should be better due to the larger sensor and optics) but outside photos and Video I took with the N9 are very impressive even in the late evening. Indoors and with low light it is just ok. I didn't do a head to head comparison with the i8910 or the xt720 but photos seem better than the samsung and are definitely better than the motorola.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
N9 camera is average. I have tried very hard to like it and push it but It performs poor in mid light. The S2 blows it out of the water.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
A software update is the works! http://mynokiablog.com/2011/11/11/ca...ks-for-n9-800/

Kontorri and dsmobile mentioned this before. The update will come with pr. 1.2

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zymo For This Useful Post:
I do wonder how much it is hardware based and software based. eg, the white balance is horrible, but can be edited in Gallery and be cool..... so that tells me its software.

Some of the low light stuff, I don't know. The n9 tends to be shooting at a hell of a high ISO even at low light... wtf? That seems software.

Of course we don't have Xenon... so that doesn't help our low light situation.

For video... not having 1080p is a downer, but they put a pretty anemic SoC on this thing to support that. I do doubt we'll ever see an N9 successor, which is too bad.

I will say, it shoots good enough for me pictures. I'm loving it too much to replace it.... Swipe UI is just a fantastic idea. I find it lightyears more useful in terms of a SMARTphone than anything out there, but then again I'm not a huge app nerd. I do wish the Tone profiles were more customizable. Even the little niggles, like Contact Sync with Google (... I doubt they'll integrate it outside mFe, but lets hope so), but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Maybe if WP falls flat we'll get some love.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Yup, there is going to be some major update to the camera app/features on the N9 with PR1.2.
(Something amazing and "a first" apparently but I wasn't told specifics either. But I can sorta guess. =P)

Oh well, all that is well and good but I wish N9 had the same 2-stage camera button that the Lumia 800 has. =(
That's one thing any PR1.x cannot give us and to me, that is the biggest let down of the camera on the N9.

btw, here is what Konttori said also in his blog answering someone's question about the camera:

No image stabilization, it would require a gyro, which iphone has and n9 doesn't. Seems like 1.2 has some sweet camera improvements though (but no comments on what, sorry).
http://konttoristhoughts.blogspot.co...few-other.html

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-11-12 at 09:19.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Yup, there is going to be some major update to the camera app/features on the N9 with PR1.2.
(Something amazing and "a first" apparently but I wasn't told specifics either. But I can sorta guess. =P)

Oh well, all that is well and good but I wish N9 had the same 2-stage camera button that the Lumia 800 has. =(
That's one thing any PR1.x cannot give us and to me, that is the biggest let down of the camera on the N9.

btw, here is what Konttori said also in his blog answering someone's question about the camera:

http://konttoristhoughts.blogspot.co...few-other.html
whats ur guess

can't we re-map the power button or volume rockers to be the camera shutter key?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spectrax0x For This Useful Post: