Poll: Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.
Poll Options
Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.

Closed Thread
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
As everyone knows now Nokia have more or less ABANDONED the N900 and now it really IS down to this community to further any future development.

This thread is self explanitory to make an online Petition and idea's to get Nokia release the full source code of the Maemo OS for our N900.

I will devote my time to further development only if i have the original source code available to me, i am no way going to stab in the dark with this as the CSSU team are, working almost blind with all the closed components, quite frankly they will do a hell of a lot better armed with the full source code of the Maemo OS.

Everyone who would like to see Maemo further developed please leave a post in agreement and any idea's you may have for Nokia to release fully the Maemo Source Code for the N900 and for further Maemo development.

If your vote is a NO could you please let us know why you voted no.

Please note that this Poll is public as you can click on the results table to get the voting list of names.

Please make sure everyone that you realise this is YOUR Community and this is YOUR Poll and feel free to give any idea's you have to enable further development of Maemo.

This Poll has no time limit and will be open for everyone at any time.

Edited for more explanation to this Poll.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-05-28 at 01:56.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Won't happen. Hasn't happened for Maemo 4.1, won't happen to Maemo 5.0 mainly due to the proprietary drivers for the closed bits.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Now we have a different situation on our hands from before.

Nokia have now officially abandoned Maemo and under those circumstances it is only fair they release to this community its source code to enable future development to take place.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Being abandonware doesn't mean that they won't hold onto it.

For instance... I remember Pixar Typestry 2.03. Great software. It's considered abandonware. Will Pixar ever release the code? Bits of it already exist - Renderman is pretty open - in fact, almost all of it is open by now.

There's alternatives that were built off of Renderman. But will Pixar ever release the source code for Typestry?

No. And it's been abandoned since the mid-90's.

I can name a plethora of others if you so wish. Just because we want it, we can find reason in it, to them it might not make business or logical reason(s) to do so. So we're at their mercy.

And Nokia... seems to have Harmattan coming out in some form, which is based on Fremantle at least in bits; so... long story made short.

Not gonna happen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
I know this is only a dream but I click yes anyway. Two clicks doesn't hurt I think.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Yeah, it's not going to happen... but..

Isn't most of it already open source? So you take what parts aren't open source, and reverse engineer them. Yeah, not the best solution, but in the end probably the only one.

Ultimately this is why most people in the Linux and Open Source world (you know those 'crazy' ones like Stallman) say they want everything open.

Those expensive nVidia cards? If nVidia were to say 'screw you guys, I'm going home' tomorrow, we'd have no way to use their hardware with newer kernels if it weren't for the reverse engineering of their drivers by the Nouveau team.

Same thing could be applied to any piece of hardware, that's why Linux advocates always stress that source code for hardware is always the best!

slaapliedje

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
they should give us aat least a few dirty bit especially bugged one like Mfe, contacts, etc.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
great idea! why didnt someone think of this before? oh wait

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55450

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
great idea! why didnt someone think of this before? oh wait

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55450
When you started that thread Nokia was still developing Maemo and now the situation is different in that Nokia have now OFFICIALLY abandoned Maemo.

Lets see what can happen now regardless of thoughts of a no go.

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Yeah, it's not going to happen... but..

Isn't most of it already open source? So you take what parts aren't open source, and reverse engineer them. Yeah, not the best solution, but in the end probably the only one.

Ultimately this is why most people in the Linux and Open Source world (you know those 'crazy' ones like Stallman) say they want everything open.

Those expensive nVidia cards? If nVidia were to say 'screw you guys, I'm going home' tomorrow, we'd have no way to use their hardware with newer kernels if it weren't for the reverse engineering of their drivers by the Nouveau team.

Same thing could be applied to any piece of hardware, that's why Linux advocates always stress that source code for hardware is always the best!

slaapliedje
Problem with that is the community cannot be seen to be reverse engineering Nokia software, it is not right and has to be done with the approval of Nokia to be successful BUT i agree with everything you said !.

Closed Thread

Tags
current, daddys ketchup, flog dead horse, give him, just shoot me, must not say no, no argue ok, play nice, situation, yes or highway