Posts: 29 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ New York City
Hello there from Adam in NYC.

Shipping my Nokia 800 back to the factory.

It is just booting for 3 seconds then turning off. Looks like maybe I am one of the first to send it back. To those in the USA, the number for repair is here: http://www.nokiausa.com/support/repa...,00.html#Step1

and they are very helpful. In the US, repairs go back to to a repair depot in Huntsville Alabama.

One point to ponder: my N800 was made in Korea, if that helps. I had 4 Gig of SD in it. Noope, no mods, just using it with xterm.

Another point is that when it died, I could not get it to go into the control panel /Bluetooth to find my BT keyboard. Afterwards, I rebooted and it is doing this quick reboot then die behavior. I reflashed but no go with this. The tablet wont even recharge the battery.

It would be nice if there was a way to do a wipe of all the FLASH so you can get a superclean wipe.

Anyway, the tech support did not even know they moved the sticker from out under the battery. Now they know.

Oh well.

I reflashed yesterday after memory problems and reboots and I was hanging out at the 34th street mall, trying to get a signal and my N800 kept rebooting, rebooting, and rebooting.

It was very upsetting. I have 2 -2GB memory cards.

I am going to exchange mine at the Nokia store later today. It could be a fluke.

Regrettably, when deliveries are made, the Nokia store probably got nothing but the Korean made one...

Are you sure you've loaded the batteries properly?

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by Adam in NYC View Post
Hello there from Adam in NYC.

Shipping my Nokia 800 back to the factory.

It is just booting for 3 seconds then turning off. Looks like maybe I am one of the first to send it back.
(snip)
This is a known issue which occurs when you upgrade busybox to the latest version from the maemo repository. If you just accept any updates that are pending in the application manager it will grab busybox automatically (in red pill mode). Happened to me twice and it was rather annoying. Just reflashing will not fix it. I believe you need to disable R&D mode, flash, and then re-enable R&D mode to make it work. There was a thread about this earlier with quite a few people returning their n800's before the solution was discovered. To the best of my knowledge that "poison" version is still out there and I'm not sure why Nokia doesn't just pull it to avoid these issues.

Larry

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
I'm not sure why Nokia doesn't just pull it to avoid these issues
Three reasons:

1) The upgrade is for Maemo ARM targets in Scratchbox.
2) The repository in question isn't *designed* for the N800, just the scratchbox SDK - it's a side effect that most packages work on the device itself
3) Red pill mode isn't for end users. If you follow maemo-developers, you'll know not to accept an upgrade in red pill mode. If you've got red pill mode enabled and you don't follow maemo-developers a lot of problems will result.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
Three reasons:

1) The upgrade is for Maemo ARM targets in Scratchbox.
2) The repository in question isn't *designed* for the N800, just the scratchbox SDK - it's a side effect that most packages work on the device itself
3) Red pill mode isn't for end users. If you follow maemo-developers, you'll know not to accept an upgrade in red pill mode. If you've got red pill mode enabled and you don't follow maemo-developers a lot of problems will result.
I don't think it's reasonable to assume this. I ran my 770 in that mode without issues and unless I was pulling from the sardine repos I never had problems. Some people like to be able to install command line utilities that are invisible otherwise from the app manager. To have a version of scratchbox that's guaranteed to not only trash the device but it make it difficult to recover from even after re-flashing seems unwise. Thus far I've seen at least six different posts by people who have returned their n800s because of this issue. What a waste of money and time, for something that could be simply remedied by removing the package.

I hang out on maemo-devel and I must have missed the message that said don't upgrade scratchbox. Nonetheless, for j-random-user who wants to install a utility like 'unzip', there's very little chance they're going to know next time they go to accept packages for upgrade that scratchbox is going to destroy their tablet for all intents and purposes. Now Nokia is getting a reputation for crash-prone n800s is doesn't really deserve. Worse, people are confusing it with a hardware defect the 770s had. It doesn't help that they'll never see the problem until they reboot, making it seem like something else entirely is wrong since it occurs so early on in the boot process.

Larry

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I think there is a couple of different issues going on. I have now just toasted my second N800. Just as the first one and as this title states "boots 3 seconds and dies"

I compiled the kernel and everything went fine, used the linux flasher-3.0 and flashed the kernel, and it would not boot. OK, no problem, used the flasher and unacked the original kernel image from Nokia image, flashed the original kernel back. Booted up and died. WTF, ok I will reflash the whole thing, used the flasher-3.0 and it started to flash, xloader ok, initfs ok, kernel wrote 256 and hung. After I was sure it was not comming back, I unplugged it and killed the process, it took a few but finally died. I tried again same thing but hangs at 512 written. Hearts racing, danm it. OK, Try in windows, flashes completely, thank goodness. Oh wait, still wont boot. Crap! 21 days will be tomorrow morning, we'll see how happy COMPUSA will be to replace the second one.

I tried all kinds of various things after the above to bring it back. I started having problems where I could not even turn it on. I held home plugged in the usb and put in the power cord and was able to reflash again. This brought it back to be able to power on again, but still no boot, reflash linux, reflash windows, reflash, kernel, initfs, rootfs manually. I think there is an issue where something is writing to the wrong place on flash memory. Not really sure though. I

Is there a way to unpack the entire image, mine always dies after unpacking kernel, rootfs, initfs, 2nd image dies? Is this what is needed for cold flash, would cold flash possibly fix it, i dont know. POOOOP!!!!

ANY BRAINIACS GOT ANYTHING TO TRY.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Have you removed the SD cards before booting?

yes , I removed everything, nothing seems to be working, I am leaning towards flash corruption (physical or caused by flasher), I would not be surprised if we get a new flasher sometime in the future, it may have something to do with the devices state when flashing? The first time this happened to me I was using only the windows flasher when it died, this time it was the linux flasher. The first time it was reflashed maybe 3 times. The second one was reflashed from windows and linux multiple (15+ times when testing bootmenu) without issues before this problem.

I am so tempted to replace this with the 770 at COMPUSA. This will be my second n800 to die, I had 770 for over a year and never had an issue. I could never do it though, no matter how much I would like to.

OK, did I ever mention I love COMPUSA

I took back my N800 in the box with all the parts and papers, with reciept with copies in a nice little folder, prepared for the worst. 21 day return policy, I took it back today on day 21. Without me even asking a question, she looked inside the box, went and got me a new one, did a return on it, and gave me a NEW reciept with 21more days of return policy. I also purchased a TAP replacement plan, but I did not have to use it because I was within my 21 days, barely

This is why I would never ever ever ever ever again buy directly from Nokia.

This being said I am very hesitant to try my kernel image again, I am 99% sure it had nothing to do with my problem, but I am hesitant to find out. I think I can boot new kernel without applying it can't I. maybe I'll give that a try.