in4m8ionman, hate do disappoint you but my impression is that reflashing won't help. I've tried 4 times, it did not help. Once you've installed something that triggered reboots it does not matter if you deinstall/reflash later, your only chance is disabling lifeguard completely and living with it off. It's like something gets stuck somewhere in maintenance partitions and you can't get rid of it unless you happen to have this mysterious serial port cold flashing device. Don't ask me how, I don't know. Ask Nokia. I've sent my N800 back. It's simply not ready as a consumer gadget. For hacking -- maybe, but I had plenty of hacking at work so I'll wait and see until Nokia at least admits the problem exists. So far, they did not even blink. I wonder what an average return rate on this devices would be. My estimate currently is 80%.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by in4m8ionman View Post
The device was not rebooting it was stuck only on the Nokia screen - will killing the lifeguard reset fix that?
Why not try it? It will only take a few minutes if you have access to a Linux box (download DSL LiveCD if you don't) and may allow you to work out the root cause of your problem if you successfully get your N800 to boot.

Try also removing all memory cards prior to booting (internal and external) - some users have stated this helps achieve a successful boot (at which point you can re-insert the cards). I wonder if the mount is failing and hanging the boot process.

Interesting thoughts that flashing might not fix my issue. I did flash and it is now booting and only installed fbreader. Tempted to install xterm but I held out - wanted to see if the thing will take a dump in the next few days.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ North Carolina, US
Well me like a dork, installed an app that I assumed was compatible with the N800. The install worked but when I went to change the theme the screen went white. I powered off the device and powered it back on, and now it just constantly reboots itself.

I'm going to try updating the device to see if that helps... Thanks for the tip Jay!

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ North Carolina, US
Ok, updating didn't work What and how do you kill the Lifeguard reset?

Search this forum for "lifeguard".

Hey D, soz I went offline - my sucky connection goes funny for some reason. (It tells me it's on, but no data exchange happens)

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Search this forum for "lifeguard".
or look at your post #6

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Instead of Firefox, I had to use yucky Internet Explorer to download the long .bin file for some reason. Then I downloaded the Windows software installaton program and used it to install the .bin file in my N800. The rebooting problem was solved and I lived happly ever after, for now. It sure was nice to have my N800 back.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Amsterdam, NL
Hello, Guys!

I have had the "reboot loop" recently but it did not happen before I did install two applications:

Taskbar-clock
osso-xterm

I am pretty sure it is related to one of them.

Reflashing helped (well...)

cheers

andreas