Active Topics

I'm fine with it as it is (unless you *really* need that slot for something more interesting, in which case I won't make a fuss :-).

One thing that's not clear to me yet is the logistics of those presentations : is it bring-your-own-laptop, or will there be a common setup in each room, etc. Maybe this will be worked out later ?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
One thing that's not clear to me yet is the logistics of those presentations : is it bring-your-own-laptop, or will there be a common setup in each room, etc.
According to the wiki:
Originally Posted by qgil
All PC presentations to be put in advance as PDF or similar in a same laptop proven to work with the projector.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
According to the wiki:
Ah, thanks for that. I'm still having trouble distinguishing brainstorming from information in that Wiki section :-)

I'm very intrigued by this sentence :
"It will be possible to extract video out directly from the tablets to a projector. Nokia engineers will do the setup"

Don't want any on-the-spot surgery on my tablet :-)

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Probably what will happen is that there will be three devices prepared to have video out and you will need to get your stuff working in one of them.

I'm starting my holidays tomorrow until the end of the month. We will sort out those details latest when I'm back.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would like the devices-with-projection-capabilities to have VNC clients and an X-server and ssh*. This way, we can do live demos from the tablet.

I'm very intrigued by this sentence :
"It will be possible to extract video out directly from the tablets to a projector. Nokia engineers will do the setup"

Can I take your place in line, then? I hope they leave the video out wire dangling out the side.

*I have the X-server and ssh running fine on my Windows boxes using Cygwin; really straightforward to set up.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I would like the devices-with-projection-capabilities to have VNC clients and an X-server and ssh*. This way, we can do live demos from the tablet.
??? Please explain.

"Lives demos from the tablet" is precisely what we are looking for. You propose a setting

Tablet --> laptop --> Projector

and we are suggesting to demo a setting

Tablet --> Projector

without laptop in between.

That was my initial idea. However, since later on we have got the request to record the screencasts at the same time that they are being projected, we might need the laptop back no matter what the setting is. Unless someone finds the way and the performance to save a screencast in the own tablet...

Anyway, we know we can go VNC and there is also the possibility to go direct video out.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I agree that video-out from the tablet would be very cool. I want that hack done to my tablet no matter what solution is decided upon.

The advantage to the laptop-VNC solution is that the tablet would remain wireless, as opposed to having a video-out cable tethering it. I also want to show some cool X-Forwarding tricks, using the tablet as the server and the laptop as the client, but that's not strictly necessary...

Assuming direct video out is via a usbvga dongle (so not as cool as via the 3.5mm jack ), some people might have troubles with their demos if they use any of the scaling features of the LCD controller. Just a thought.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Looks like me and Tigert are also able to participate. We can be there and not-talk-about-the-future-UI.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I agree that video-out from the tablet would be very cool. I want that hack done to my tablet no matter what solution is decided upon.

The advantage to the laptop-VNC solution is that the tablet would remain wireless, as opposed to having a video-out cable tethering it. I also want to show some cool X-Forwarding tricks, using the tablet as the server and the laptop as the client, but that's not strictly necessary...
In this case why not use your own, pre-configured, NIT? The Projector NIT's will be useful for many people who just want to show off an application(s) without having to worry about installing/configuring/tweaking settings.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo.org