Active Topics

How's this for some random...sugar.

It's fixed. And do you know what technological wonder I performed in order to get rid of the touchscreen issues and the error messages? I had to remove both the battery and the memory card, simultaneously. I put them back in, and it works fine now. Mind you, one or the other did not solve the problem - I had to take both out at the same time.

Here I was fearing that I might need to send it off for repairs, and all I needed to do was channel the Fonz. Ayyy!

Last edited by twoblackdogs; 2008-02-11 at 19:08.

i took out both battery and mmc cards and put them back in and nothing happens

I have the same problem. Taking out the battery sometimes helps, but
it comes back again and again. I disabled Personal menu because it seems
me tha tit started after I updated this. It is working now for few hours, but I am not sure it will work and I am not sure Personla menu is responsible for this.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Sydney
Seems to be that recalibration is the culprit. From what I can see, recalibration just makes it worse and worse. I've had some success by drawing myself a little map, and then intentionally recalibrating "incorrectly" according to the skewing map. A few iterations of that, and it's almost usable. Usable enough for me, but my wife still won't stand to use it for her facebooking (quelle dommage!)

I was having terrible screen calibration problems. I took the memory card out, and volia! I could calibrate nicely. Then I put the memory card back in, and the calibration was still good!

Wow, I was about ready to send it in for repair, and now it is it's happy self again!

I have a worse problem. I have to intentionally mis-calibrate the touchscreen because the upper right is off. Worse, it isn't linear.

Toward the middle (vertically, center to right side) of the screen the hotspot is about 3/16" above where I'm tapping when the four corners are right.

The calibration appears to be linear which means it can't be fixed by normal calibration values

I've had the tablet for a while and there are a few tiny but deep scratches in the area.

The way I test is to use the browser on a page without links - tap-hold brings up the spinning circle around where it thinks I'm tapping.

Last edited by tz1; 2008-07-07 at 17:33. Reason: add tip

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
I have a worse problem. I have to intentionally mis-calibrate the touchscreen because the upper right is off. Worse, it isn't linear.

Toward the middle (vertically, center to right side) of the screen the hotspot is about 3/16" above where I'm tapping when the four corners are right.

The calibration appears to be linear which means it can't be fixed by normal calibration values

I've had the tablet for a while and there are a few tiny but deep scratches in the area.

The way I test is to use the browser on a page without links - tap-hold brings up the spinning circle around where it thinks I'm tapping.
Hey man i have the same exact issue. At the top of the screen it would be perfectly fine, the further i get to the bottom of the screen, the giher up the tap responds. I tried recalibrating many many times but to no avail. Have you been able o get around this?

The Following User Says Thank You to mike2k4 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tz1 View Post

Your description matches the problem I am having.
The calibration tool seems to make the problem worse sometimes
and better sometimes, but your description of it being linear
is dead on.

I have a problem where it makes one side of the 4 points(ie 1 and 4 on the left) need
to be clicked to the outside of the crosshairs. Like a few MM over to the outside.
I had posted a question about this a week or so ago and no one replied, but since this thread
is on page 2, is there anyone with direct knowledge of the calibration tool or how the
touchscreen hardware works? This is too the point where I can't scroll on web pages in the browser,
or if I try to close programs with the 'X' I always hit the minimize icon.

The Following User Says Thank You to bleek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Sydney
Having done a lot of searching in these forums, there seems to be a general unbelief amongst 'the powers that be' that this problem actually occurs. Almost as though their thought is "ahh, that sounds like weird stuff, must be user error or the guy doesn't understand how to use a stylus or doesn't know that there's a recalibration tool".

Well, we're not all clueless dolts - it's a real problem and the recal tool makes it worse not better.

And the effect on usability is dire.

Please somebody pay us some attention !

Reflashing doesn't help. Removing battery doesn't help. Recalibration certainly doesn't help.

There's no way I can let anyone else use my N800 because they don't have the "displacement map" in their head of where they need to touch versus where they want the touch to register.

If there's one thing that would help the N800 get more popular, it's letting other people use them. But for everyone with this screen problem, if anyone does try to use their N800 they'll find it a frustrating and pointless exercise. What a very great pity.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
this calibration problem occurs often with a damaged screen.
If one of your kids has ever had a DS you will note they are more susceptible to it (kids aren't as gentle with their toys).

I've not lost positioning on my screen, but i lack sensitivity.

Now, you could check theres nothing caught in the gutter (grit/protector etc) and if its still off by a large factor and not calibratable, then it sounds like a proper hardware problem.

I wonder if it would be possible to create a proper displacement map driver (pair of glasses) to rectify the problem for those out of warranty?