After a couple days of using my 770, I innocently turned it off and took out the battery to read the product ID. Now it won't boot past the initial "NOKIA" splash screen. I've seen others recover from similar situations by flashing (http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=654), but I can't get to a point where the WinXP flasher will talk to my 770. Will using the Linux flasher allow me to catch the device early enough in its startup sequence to fix this?

My experiments so far:

1) Pressing and holding the power button for a long time, with or without the power adapter attached -- nothing happens.

2) Pressing and holding the power button without the power adapter, then connecting the adapter while still holding the button -- the display immediately turns on and "NOKIA" splash screen appears. The progress bar at the bottom of the screen never shows up. After a few seconds, the backlight goes off, but in the right light, I can see the display is still on and hung at "NOKIA". It stays this way until I unplug power, at which point the display goes off.

3) Repeating the previous step with the USB cable attached to a WinXP PC -- The PC complains that an unknown USB device is attached, but the device isn't working correctly. If I continue to hold the power button, the display and backlight flash about once a second until I release the button. At the same time the PC cycles USB plug-unplug events until I pull the power adapter. I'd successfully transferred files from that PC to the 770 via USB before the 770 started misbehaving.

4) Attaching the power adapter with the unit off does nothing. The charging screen does not appear, and the display and backlight stay off.

@ desktop:

Don't the instructions state you have to hold down the Power *and* Home buttons at the same time to put the 770 into USB mode -- while connected via USB to a PC -- so it can be flashed? (This is from memory...)

Yup, you're right. I forgot to mention that I'd tried that power + home too, sadly to no avail. I also tried powering on with the menu, escape, full-screen, and plus/minus buttons in hopes one of them might be a secret reset combination.

When I've flashed with Linux, I haven't had to hold down the power button at all. Steps:
(removing battery is optional)

- Turn off the unit
- Remove battery and reinsert it
- Connect USB to PC
- Run flasher (it will say "Suitable device not found...") Look here for more info:
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HOWTO_Fla...ImageWithLinux
- Plug in power adapter
- Now the device is recognized and the image download should begin. The 770 should also power up on its own at this point.

Have you *ever* been able to flash the device, even when it was healthy? If not, perhaps the problem is with the USB setup on your PC.

This isn't looking good. From a Linux system, I first tried simply resetting the device using flasher:

"./flasher -R"

That didn't work, so I tried actually flashing it:

"./flasher -F Nokia_770_SE2005_3_2005_51-13.bin -f -R"

In both cases, I never got past "Suitable USB device not found, waiting". However, I could hear the Linux system's disk churning a little about once a second when I was holding the 770's power button, making me think my Linux system is seeing the same USB plug-unplug cycling I got on my WinXP system.

This is the first time I've tried to flash my 770, although the whole saga began when I took out the battery to get the product ID so I could flash-up to the latest release. I know positively the 770 + USB cable + WinXP system combination worked before, because I'd used it to move files on and off the MMC.

Have you tried *all* USB ports on your PC ? Sometimes the front ports (which often depend on a internal USB hub) won't work for some things, while the ones on the back (directly linked) will. Or vice versa. Maybe the linux flasher is more picky about this than the Windows one...

I hadn't thought of an internal hub getting in the way. I tried all of them, and unfortunately it behaved the same on every one.

I also tried flasher's "-c" cold-flash option, but it wanted a serial connection rather than USB. Anyone know the pinout to the mysterious connector next to the battery? I'm guessing a few of those pads are a serial port.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Originally Posted by skelso
I hadn't thought of an internal hub getting in the way. I tried all of them, and unfortunately it behaved the same on every one.

I also tried flasher's "-c" cold-flash option, but it wanted a serial connection rather than USB. Anyone know the pinout to the mysterious connector next to the battery? I'm guessing a few of those pads are a serial port.
May be a silly question, but are you root on the linux box?

Also, it's HOME then POWER.

I originally had questions about whether my Debian Sarge system would run the flasher but it works (even with only USB 1.x ports...)

Last edited by putkowski; 2006-01-19 at 18:54.

I tried flashing both as a regular user and as root, but neither worked. The Linux box is running Fedora core 3. I've used other USB devices with it, but didn't have a chance to try out my 770 on it before the 770 stopped working.

Have you tried hitting it with your fist? Sometimes a shoe will work as well.