Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If a MeeGo based NIT comes out, it probably will not be by Nokia.
Actually if a Meego based NIT comes out it will be by Nokia, otherwise it wouldn't be a NIT (Nokia Internet Tablet) would it? </pedantry>

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Yeah it would probably be a IIT (Intel Internet Tablet)

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If Nokia comes out with anything (pure) MeeGo based, after their switch to Microsoft Windows Phone 7 as their "flagship" OS, who would trust it? I wouldn't... they might change their mind yet again without explanation.
Except that Windows Phone 7 isn't a tablet OS, and it sounds like there is no plans to make it a tablet OS.

And by now, after the 770, N800, N810, and N900 having basically been treated as nothing more than pet projects with the support for the OS, devices being (understandably) smaller than Nokia's other offerings, it's not another pet project from Nokia I'm after.

It's either going to be corporate backed and supported fully or released fully open source with zero closed bits. No in-between for me because I had a N810 with closed bits that never got worked around - not to mention a GPS product where "life membership" was relegated to 2 years - and closed bits on the N900 that will invariably cause problems down the line.
I can understand that perspective, tho given the life cycle in the market, many are changing devices anyways. I guess when someone else actually does offer what Nokia did offer, we are sticking around. Like you stick around despite your issues with Nokia.

As it stands... a MeeGo device would be better off in the hands of Intel. They've at least stayed behind the product when Nokia didn't. That unwavering support in MeeGo is enough to make me want to buy from anybody else but Nokia at this moment.
Fortunately, the open source nature of MeeGo and the overall divorce from corporate influence might actually get you want you want: a device that isn't completely dependent on the whims of a single corporation. Course, we are still a long way from that goal.

That being said, I still think MeeGo's biggest potential is in the tablet market, which we have yet to see the best from.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Microsoft is already looking at the tablet market and expanding Windows Phone OS to the tablet market - perhaps with Windows Phone 8.

Pure speculation, but they're not ignoring that sector. The personally designed and shown off version of a possible form factor Windows Phone 7 tablet by that designer (Umang Dokey) was seen and liked by Microsoft.

Don't forget that Microsoft showed off Origami before the iPad. So Microsoft in the tablet market isn't that much of a long shot.

Oh, and since you stated it... I stuck around because of Maemo. Not Nokia.

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
In which case; can we have our NIT's back please Nokia?

In which case i'd really quite like:
5inch 960x540 qHD screen
dual-core A9 SoC
phone functionality like the Dell Streak
you can even throw a keyboard in there

How about it Nokia?
Why do you want such coarse pixels? That's worse than even the 770/N800/N810 had; at a time when the competition is finally catching up in PPI, it's no time for Nokia to go two steps backwards.

IMO it should be 1280x800 5.6" (like the screen in my Fujitsu U820, only this would be transflective -- a screen to kill for!), but if you don't want to go over 5" at least push for 1024x600!

Otherwise -- yes, I'd definitely go for a larger (and higher resolution) non-phone tablet. Would prefer it has built-in 3G/4G that actually works with a reasonable provider where I live, but it looks like AT&T took that off the table.

But I can't really see any reason to suspect that Nokia will make thay device at all, let alone before anyone other MeeGo device makers do.

i wouldn't object to 1024x600, qHD is merely a minimum acceptable resolution of a tablet.

but 5" qHD works for the NGP, so its good enough for me.

Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 2011-03-31 at 11:01.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Nokia will indeed bring out MeeGo on a handset that will NOT be a tablet you can guarentee that on both counts BUT like gerbick has stated it will take a hell of a lot of trust to gain any confidence in Nokia from here on after what they have done to us with the N900.

I personally if i was head of development, would not allow Nokia to write another OS, i would put that in the hands of Intel or in this case also Microsoft who both have far better track record of writing OS software, Nokia have not got what it takes to develop software simple as that.

Nokia i think still need to realise the damage they have done to their customers past, present and future as i still think they don't fully realise the amount of people thay have actually upset.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-03-31 at 10:14.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
i still think they don't fully realise the amount of people thay have actually upset.
Killer quote. I just had to repeat it. Consider me one of the 'burned'.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It appears that tablet phones are being priced into oblivion by excessive monthly fees, so this has created a niche for us cost-sensitive common people. I also want a non-phone tablet like my N800, but updated and maybe larger. If Nokia didn't have its head wherever Microsoft lives, it would see that it has a brilliant chance here.

i will buy the consumer harmattan device when it arrives, but only because there is no sign of a larger phone-enabled NIT.