Notices

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
This should be better thanks to ToJa92

ToJa92
...and so it's released. Can be found at their site: http://firefox.com/m

EDIT: They've done something wrong this release, it's pretty damn fast. There's still some lockups(like while loading 9 tabs at once), but generally it's nice.

For those concerned... Above post is crap; that's FF RC1, and it's quite slow.

Originally Posted by casketizer View Post
I went back to 4b6pre20110305. The RC1 and newer builds are dog slow and unstable for me. I don't know what went wrong there...
4b6pre is as fast and stable as microb (except startup) for me.
I've tried that build, and while it's indeed fast, I should muster all the curses I know, for I need diacritics, or en-intl, and that build ignores dead diacritics in general. @%@#%¨@#$%¨&

Do you know a 4b6 build with intl support? I'm messing around with different builds to see if I'm able to mix together two and get one that's both fast and able to receive input in my native language.

Additional info, to whom it may concern:

4b6-20110305 Qt has microB running for it's money, easily. Along with mouse support, this thing blazes through the web. Six tabs, one of them a youtube video, and still maintaining decent speed, with no overclocking.

Now, if only the damn diacritics would works... *sigh*

Edit: Nine tabs and going strong; browser seems to competely override maemo's default keyboard behaviour, as in, instead of a held key producing its associated blue function symbol (the two level functionality), which is baffling, as i wouldn´t think that's possible.

Last edited by number41; 2011-03-30 at 01:13.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
One day Firefox might get something right, oh well it was worth a try i guess but hell why don't they realise we want a stripped down version of firefox to run just a little bit faster than the full blown version.

Come on get something right for gods sake.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...f=47&t=2149121

So, I went ahead and asked them why is it that older releases are way better than the RC. Let's see what happens...

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Seattle, WA, US
Anyone seeing slowness in Firefox 4.0 compared to earlier builds, could I ask you again to try these about:config changes and report the results? This was one of the only things we changed between 2011-03-05 and the final release, and it might affect memory usage and speed:

toolkit.browser.cacheRatioHeight -> 2000
toolkit.browser.cacheRatioWidth -> 1200

After changing these prefs, please restart the browser.

This should reduce the memory usage (but might increase checkerboarding). Please let me know if this gives you a better experience. Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by epitaph View Post
That's not what I'm talking about. It's Linux and you want to write a script with sed and awk and grep and pipe it to stdout. What's the problem with this?
The problem with it is some ****** made it an XML file instead of a flat file like all config files were meant to be.

That makes your script either horrendously complex (implement a proper XML parser in awk) or ugly hackery (depend on the formatting details characteristic of how MicroB outputs it, rather than the XML's formatting-indifferent structure).

XML config files: a solution in search of a problem! Crushing souls and fighting the UNIX way since... well, whenever the !@#$ *****s started using them.

Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
The problem with it is some ****** made it an XML file instead of a flat file like all config files were meant to be.

That makes your script either horrendously complex (implement a proper XML parser in awk) or ugly hackery (depend on the formatting details characteristic of how MicroB outputs it, rather than the XML's formatting-indifferent structure).

XML config files: a solution in search of a problem! Crushing souls and fighting the UNIX way since... well, whenever the !@#$ *****s started using them.
You want to sort it with php and the XML-DOM-Extension.

Last edited by epitaph; 2011-03-30 at 06:22.

Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by mbrubeck View Post
Anyone seeing slowness in Firefox 4.0 compared to earlier builds, could I ask you again to try these about:config changes and report the results? This was one of the only things we changed between 2011-03-05 and the final release, and it might affect memory usage and speed:

toolkit.browser.cacheRatioHeight -> 2000
toolkit.browser.cacheRatioWidth -> 1200

After changing these prefs, please restart the browser.

This should reduce the memory usage (but might increase checkerboarding). Please let me know if this gives you a better experience. Thanks for your help!
It didn't helped me I have this value and it seems to work better for me:

toolkit.browser.cacheRatioHeight -> 9000000
toolkit.browser.cacheRatioWidth -> 9000000

But thanks for sharing!

Last edited by epitaph; 2011-03-30 at 06:34.

This thread helped me a lot. My friend has the same issue, I’ll share this to her.

capsilex

Last edited by Danna; 2012-01-11 at 01:30.

Tags
bada blows, bada rocks