Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
I'm going on my 6th year of owning N900s and I don't want another phone.

Still use mine daily for Rockbox and Notes!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Browsed maemo.org for the first time in a couple years today because i miss a lot of things from my N900 (most lately in focus was Conboy, as i tried again to find a note taking program for android i like half as much). Was asking myself why i ever gave up on my 2 N900s and thought i'd edc one for a few days to see how it went.

It turns out that the reason i stopped edc of the N900 was because one has a broken digitizer and one has a dead backlight -- and both have very sketchy microUSB port connectivity at this point. It's unfortunate that the display components on these were so susceptible to the subtropical humidity here because i haven't liked as much the build and keyboard of any other phone i've had since.

Back to OP: now that i think back, I think it was the browser limitations that were the main reason i didn't buy another N900 when these died. If you are willing to carry a tablet or don't do much browsing on your phone, i think the N900 could easily do for edc. In this era of increasing information security threats etc. it would probably be a smart thing to do.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
the only downside is lack of processing power for all these fancy js websites, other than that I see no real issues with it

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Severely outdated device security, maybe, although security by obscurity is better than nothing.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@Flandry, subtropical humidity in Boston?
Just out of interest, what is this edc you talk about? Never heard that before...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Just out of interest, what is this edc you talk about? Never heard that before...
EDC = Every day carry

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
yesterday i put my nokia n900 back into the drawer, days of nokia n900 are over now, been using sailfish for the last 4 months but i will try my luck with andr*id now.
where are smileys? how can i put a sad smiley here?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
where are smileys? how can i put a sad smiley here?
'Go Advanced'. You will get a selection of smileys on the right.

Re N900 - I recently upgraded from Sailfish to Maemo but everybody already knows that

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
'Go Advanced'. You will get a selection of smileys on the right.

Re N900 - I recently upgraded from Sailfish to Maemo but everybody already knows that
thanks for showing me the way ( smileys )

after leaving Fremantle for a couple of days i always come back, can't live without maemo but this time i definitely need a rooted 4g volte enabled andr*oid wingman for n900.

@ pichlo - since sailfish is based on android drivers, so is a rooted andr*id without gapps better than sailfish ? i think its a bit off-topic, sorry

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Still using N900. Should replace its touchscreen somewhen, scratched too much (this particular device didn't have screen protector in time, should remember to put one when upgrading the touchscreen). Qwerty keypad scratched a little, too, for that matter; and should remove dust and sand (this white thing inside gets scratched too easily though). And still haven't got the courage to do anything about broken off microUSB ports yet (too tiny and too fragile). Calls, SMS, IM (IRC), camera (photographs), light webbrowsing (MicroB, since Fennec is slow, and Opera isn't much of a help), email(Modest), ssh-X-ing (since FontForge doesn't seem to work on Maemo; could anybody please try it out?), music and occasionally video (with stock mediaplayer; wish I knew how to get it to display lyrics for videos and subtitles for songs, as well as support MIDI). I seem to generate problems; even AutoComplete Editor doesn't recognise the language anymore (ID 0) while auto-complete does work.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: