Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
What's the cost of a new blade if it turns out the bios chip in blade-B is beyond recovery-by-flashing?
Are there different options on what kind of blades can be used with our server chassis, and what are the costs?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
of course when your request to https://wiki.maemo.org gets redirected to https://talk.maemo.org (or whatever) then the cert has wrong name ;-)
No, that wasn't it. I was going to https://talk.maemo.org. The name in the certificate was something completely off, like boo.muahaha.de (sorry, I cannot remember the exact name, but it was definitely something from the dot de domain).

I am posting from work now and cannot reproduce it on my work PC (in Pale Moon on Windows 7). I could not reproduce it on my Jolla either. But that's how it showed on my daughter's Android tablet. I can try again later today when I come home.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Webcat:

sfdroid browser:
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Hi. Sorry, I didn't quite follow the previous discussion but I just noticed that if I select Intro, Downloads, Development, Community, News I go directly Talk.

EDIT: Ok. I see this is mentioned in fstern's post #3. Sorry again.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 504 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Germany
Short update from today's datacenter visit:

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What's the cost of a new blade if it turns out the bios chip in blade-B is beyond recovery-by-flashing?
Are there different options on what kind of blades can be used with our server chassis, and what are the costs?
We actually do have 2 empty motherboards in the chassis.

Blade-b is totally broken. If I attach USB devices it just signals a different post error.

I couldn't exchange blade-b with a spare blade because I couldn't remove blade-b from the chassis to exchange the CPU and memory.

To exchange the two blades I have to remove the box from the rack (or at least uncable it).

This is planned for this saturday, sadly I don't have time earlier.

This will include a full powerdown of all maemo servers for about 30 minutes to finish work.

Best,

Falk
- David Clark

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to fstern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
No, that wasn't it. I was going to https://talk.maemo.org. The name in the certificate was something completely off, like boo.muahaha.de (sorry, I cannot remember the exact name, but it was definitely something from the dot de domain).
OK, I think I got it. The problem is the Coding Competition logo in the top right. It links to https://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Cod...mpetition_2016, which has a certificate issued to kilbeggan.fourecks.de. Both my PC and my Jolla simply and quietly refuse to load it, but the stock browser in my kid's Android tablet tried and popped up the warning.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
New maintenance notice.

i'm going to stop stage (repository) to create a backup copy.
Due to the size of the VM this operation could last many hours.
Thank you for your patience

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Please consider sending in blade-b for repair, HiFo (or who ever is responsible for holding the account) should have enough funds for that and should be interested in keeping assets in a functional state.

[edit] actually (quote) used CPUs are a few bucks nowadays, from datacenter upgrade surplus (/quote). So - unlike a 4(?) years ago - now populating a third (and, after repair, 4th) blade might be way cheaper and basically only cost the HDD plus a few bucks for a CPU and RAM you just need to clean from dust before mounting them to our spare blades

BR
/j
If you'd care enough about who is in charge of our funds as much as you like to troll techstaff, you would remember that you are member of the entity behind Maemo and would show up to meetings and know about it. You might just consider to leave the e.V. when you do not plan to show up to 4 consecutive meetings (for whatever reason).

To answer the actual question, blade mainboards will be swapped for now, techstaff and board will work out the details to populate the then empty slots (2) with hardware that is not doomed to fail and actually being replaced in all datacenters of people I talked to the past 3 days.

We started to discuss ideas about how the setup (best fit) would look for us and so far we came up with the idea of having a 2(old):1(new) setup where 1 can take the load off both old blades, with the option to make it 2:1:1 if we got enough funds for that. We also need to increase storage capacity and it might be a good idea to replace the PSUs while we are at it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Maintenance Notice:

stage (repository) is up and running.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
By the way, could anyone with proper rights add a link to this topic as a TMO notice (just like the coding competition one)?

Letting non-daily TMO readers know that maemo (the infra) is not dead/dying but just under maintainance sounds like a reasonable idea to me

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bencoh For This Useful Post: