Poll: Should MeeGo devs inform maemo.org users through talk.maemo.org?
Poll Options
Should MeeGo devs inform maemo.org users through talk.maemo.org?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
This is what i think and feel about MeeGo and its news of on this forum ok.....
When it comes to the N900 then every owner needs to know about anything os wise including MeeGo and yes i voted YES because you can not justify a non exsistance of MeeGo on this forum.... however.....
What i DO object to is the way you and carsten keep coming on here ramming down everyones throats how good MeeGo is and trying to put right every single adverse comment on this forum if it knocks MeeGo in any way or form.

MeeGo RIGHT NOW is nothing more than a very basic ui that runs from an sd card and not even an image in its own right to take over the Maemo os of the N900 so i hardly think MeeGo is anything to shout home about AT THE MOMENT !.

I do think MeeGo is somewhat commercial and not as free and open as everyone seems to think it is especially for the N900 and i will say why i think this....

Carsten has openly admitted on this forum that Nokia gave him the rights to have all closed components for his work on MeeGo BUT for some crazy crazy reason it is NOT to be used for anything Maemo related so it appears looking at all his comments but please i ask you to correct me on this one if i type wrong !.

Now anyone looking in on that will have a problem i am sure with this because whilst YOU and him keep ramming down everyones throats just how GOOD MeeGo is ( and remember it is no more than a very basic ui at the moment running from an sd card ) Maemo has been taken up by this commities own team of devs who do NOT have access to the closed components of the N900.

So now you work this out for yourself and you might just realise something in the order of resentment will creep in dont you think?, i started a poll for Maemo and it clearly showed the current interests BUT it got closed down for some strange reason.

Having said all that i do agree talk of MeeGo BUT please keep it sensible and not blow it out of proportion ok.

Everything i have said on this post is said without malice or trolling in any way or form.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-06-13 at 10:45.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Then why is this not on that sub section?
Because the topic is not "information about Meego" but "should developer announcements about Meego be posted on the community forum". It's important to recognize topic not by keywords but by semantic content. That's what separates men from machines (mostly)...

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Chennai, India
N900 is by far the best device out there and it deserves a shot at the OS of 'the next generation', if i may..So, people having the N900 are accustomed to TMO and most of them (including me), would not check MeeGo forums as frequently..So, IMO, progress on MeeGo front should be posted here..
And great work on MeeGo guys..Keep up the good work and there's no need to care about some of the narrow minded people (*cough*abil_uk*cough*)'s comments...;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biobobby89 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
This is what i think and feel about MeeGo and its news of on this forum ok.....
When it comes to the N900 then every owner needs to know about anything os wise including MeeGo and yes i voted YES because you can not justify a non exsistance of MeeGo on this forum.... however.....

What i DO object to is the way you and carsten keep coming on here ramming down everyones throats how good MeeGo is and trying to put right every single adverse comment on this forum if it knocks MeeGo in any way or form.
If that's how you feel, then that is unfortunate. From my point of view we've had to argue against you because you're playing down the state of MeeGo N900 CE, basically saying it's rubbish and we've not been doing a good job. Which is clearly offensive and also misinformation.

Now ramming down peoples throats, I think that's quite harsh. We publicise our progress because we're passionate about what we do and enjoy what we do. If you want to stifle enthusiasm then I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to do that.

MeeGo RIGHT NOW is nothing more than a very basic ui that runs from an sd card and not even an image in its own right to take over the Maemo os of the N900 so i hardly think MeeGo is anything to shout home about AT THE MOMENT !.
This is basically what I'm talking about, you clearly don't know the state of MeeGo N900 CE. And we have images we can install on on eMMC.

I do think MeeGo is somewhat commercial and not as free and open as everyone seems to think it is especially for the N900 and i will say why i think this....
The openness is not just about source code, it is about open discussion of every aspect of the MeGo project. As a meego community member, you have inclusion into every aspect of how the OS is being built, you can make your opinions known and argue. The transparency of MeeGo is what makes it open, not just the source code.

Carsten has openly admitted on this forum that Nokia gave him the rights to have all closed components for his work on MeeGo BUT for some crazy crazy reason it is NOT to be used for anything Maemo related so it appears looking at all his comments but please i ask you to correct me on this one if i type wrong !.
Stskeeps is under an NDA, he said he can not help wrt divulging any kind of insight into how drivers work for N900. This is a legal obligation and there holding back. He legally can not contribe to maemo like that. In fact it's not just maemo, it's anythingother than o, he couln't help NITdroid, for instance.

Now anyone looking in on that will have a problem i am sure with this because whilst YOU and him keep ramming down everyones throats just how GOOD MeeGo is ( and remember it is no more than a very basic ui at the moment running from an sd card ) Maemo has been taken up by this commities own team of devs who do NOT have access to the closed components of the N900.

So now you work this out for yourself and you might just realise something in the order of resentment will creep in dont you think?, i started a poll for Maemo and it clearly showed the current interests BUT it got closed down for some strange reason.

Having said all that i do agree talk of MeeGo BUT please keep it sensible and not blow it out of proportion ok.

Everything i have said on this post is said without malice or trolling in any way or form.
Can't be bothered to discuss any of that rubbish, no offence.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Unfortunately i'm not moderator of this subforum or i would edit and/or delete all the personal attacks against abill_uk since he began posting again. What i will do is give infractions as is appropriate to all those doing it--a warning was already issued here.

He has a 7 day ban for his return to personal attacks.

Edited to add two things:

Due to breaking another community rule (using an alternative account to bypass a ban), he received another infraction that automatically leads to a 30 day ban.

I'm especially intolerant of personal attacks on people who are presently banned so be aware i'm going to give infractions for people dredging up his name in a derogatory or disruptive way. Note that this is not making my own rule but simply being more strict about the enforcement of existing rules.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2011-06-13 at 13:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Unfortunately i'm not moderator of this subforum or i would edit and/or delete all the personal attacks against abill_uk since he began posting again. What i will do is give infractions as is appropriate to all those doing it--a warning was already issued here.

He has a 7 day ban for his return to personal attacks.
Didn't quite understand that, you've temporarily banned him and others slandering him?

I really don't get you guys.
When doctors treat a patient for a disease and they have the option to suspend the disease in the patients system for a while or completely remove it, they always choose the latter.

Originally Posted by Thedevils1 View Post
do you have something personal against this guy because you are well out of order here as a moderator and i am reporting your actions to the admin of this site because you should never ban someone for an opinion and thats all he gave
It may not have been on this thread, but he indicated abill broke the rules somehow.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Considering Nokia merged Maemo into MeeGo, and many of the technologies and applications transition without much trouble, I don't get this.

Sometimes cross-distro discussion is a good thing. I've solved problems in Ubuntu using solutions for Fedora.

This is the only one that makes sense, since Bada is detached from every other mobile OS out there, especially MeeGo.

That said, this entire topic is silly since most MeeGo chatter has taken place in the Harmattan/MeeGo subforum.
On the contrary, Bada (the core OS in there somewhere) is in fact related to more phones than Maemo, MeeGo and Android combined by several orders of magnitude. Bada does not have a Linux core, but most other stuff is OpenBSD.

Anyway, I just think a change of name is suitable if MeeGo is to be discussed. Call it Maego or Meemo or whatever, maemo.org does not describe what this site is about if MeeGo is included.

y not everything else is on here. iphone htc windows anything really keeps it as a 1 stop shop kind of thing

Tags
context, debate, developers, frappadecaf, infraction pts, javis vs. woody, let's troll!, meego, relevance