Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
Thanks for the somewhat, in my case, cryptic advise.
Use the search function - lots of information about LiveCD to be found. Even try Google. Educate yourself, perhaps by reading the second Google link (LiveDistro Wiki) that appears when you Google for "LiveCD".

Secondly, your Mac is an Intel based computer - you need to get over this "Mac is not Linux" thing. "Mac" is your OS, it's no longer the hardware platform, which is now pretty much common-or-garden Intel PC kit.

Sapporobaby, is your Mac one of the more recent Intel machines ?

If so, I would guess using a run-of-the-mill Linux Live CDs (such as Knoppix) should be possible, and certainly doable in a 30-to-60 minutes time frame, even the first time. Could save you tons of time in the future, too.

If your Mac is Intel-based I can elaborate on those simple steps (although I believe I already did some months ago).

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
@Milhouse and FPP,

Cool. I will look it up. Being that a new firmware upgrade for the N800 is coming, I will play more with it before I turn it into a "production" machine.

Good point you made about the Mac is not Linux thing.

Anyway, I will do some research on it and give it a try.

Cheers.

Here's the quick-n-dirty 10-step howto I did last year :
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...6&postcount=35

The only difference I can think of is automounting (or not) of MacOS disk volumes by Knoppix.

If not, easy workarounds :

* Knoppix figures out the network stuff and Internet works : just download image and flasher with Firefox

* else : move these to an USB key before booting to Knoppix, it will detect and automount those

Also, the actual command line for the latest flasher is probably a bit different. No big deal.

Just download and burn knoppix, boot it, download everything you need from within knoppix, and run it from there...

Everything worked fine on my hackintosh, and on my macbook.

Beware of the Weather Applet and No Data days.
I noticed a few days ago that the weather applet was showing no info for weather on upcoming days. I tried adding in CapeCoral again to no avail.
Following the final day of weather data had passed, I awoke to the N800 booting up for three seconds and then shutting down.
Others had commented that they believed that the Weather applet was causing an issue as well.
Having not read this.. I have already re-flashed the N800 and still have the same situation. Booting for 3 seconds and then it shuts down.
I will disable / enable developer mode switch as soon as I can figure out how to do it from a windows machine.
I had in the previous 2 days been installing other applications, so there is deniability that OSSO Weather app was the culprit.
I had installed Doom, Tux, Bejweled, and crazy parking the day previous to the crashes. Anyone know where the log files are?

Fixed my 3 second boot and then a shut down issue.
I'm just about positive it was the OSSO Weather Applet that caused the problem.
Google Search terms needed to do the fix
"Nokia N800 Flasher"
"Puppy Linux Live"
Nokia Support flasher RD mode

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
Should we uninstall Weather application fron N800? It looks nice, but if it does crash N800..

So far it has worked fine, but I still havent turn N800 on today.. And I better knock the wood..

The Indication for me was that it was unable to get weather information for my select city, (Cape Coral Florida) After the last day of weather information passed, I was stuck in a reboot loop. Perhaps if I has another city added that had weather data the Applet would have been okay. Even so, I cannot guarantee that this is what caused the issue.