I'll give it another try when I return from holidays. Maybe there was a change in file systems from 12.1 to 13? I seem to remember some older Android system not booting either. But then ext4 shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted by ryanml View Post
This is quite a strange issue. I wonder if the user Innocence back on pages 108 and 109 was actually having this same issue, but never figured out that it was in fact booting, just at an insanely slow rate...

I have previously booted it to the setup screen where it asks you to setup your PIN, but the system runs as slowly as the boot process, it literally takes like 40 minutes to go past a single menu.

I'm gonna leave my phone for a few hours to hopefully boot to at least the language screen again, then I'll see about getting some logs.
I have double-checked those posts and seen that the user didn't respond on my last comment. However, this doesn't mean that advice finally fixed the problem.

Silly question, I guess you have done all that I wrote in that post.

Originally Posted by Veraendert View Post
I'll give it another try when I return from holidays. Maybe there was a change in file systems from 12.1 to 13? I seem to remember some older Android system not booting either. But then ext4 shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah, remember when I flashed a custom rom to my S7. Before I installed the new rom, I always needed to format the data (factory reset was not enough) because the factory reset only cleared the data partition but kept its format, but the new rom required the data partition to be ext4 or something.
It worth a try to not just factory resetting the phone but do format the data in TWRP. (However, do a backup first as it will wipe your data!!)

Originally Posted by edp17 View Post
It worth a try to not just factory resetting the phone but do format the data in TWRP. (However, do a backup first as it will wipe your data!!)
Alright, so I was unable to obtain any sort of logs from the device, unfortunately. But I have noticed something that I didn't before, mostly due to it never having affected any other rom, but when the hybris installation script runs, TWRP outputs a couple lines relating to the data partition not being able to be mounted and its formatting, but the script continues on like nothing's wrong.

Here are the lines in question:

detected filesystem ext4 for /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata

mount: failed to mount /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata at /data: Device or resource busy

I unmounted the data partition in the mount menu in TWRP, and the error disappeared. But the boot issue still persists. I have also done as you suggested, formatting the data separately from the factory reset, but it hasn't made any difference. I even tried repairing and switching to f2fs and back to ext4, but nothing has helped.

Originally Posted by edp17 View Post
Silly question, I guess you have done all that I wrote in that post.
I did indeed do all of those things.

EDIT: The device seems to no longer boot into CM12.1 SFOS at all, I left it for about 8 hours and the only thing that happened was the LED came on. Out of sheer curiosity, I flashed CM13 SFOS over the CM12.1 base and it surprisingly showed more signs of life than the CM12.1 SFOS, in the form of vibrations and the LEDs going on and then dim like on the Ahoy screen and the red shutdown LED.

Last edited by ryanml; 2020-07-30 at 06:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to ryanml For This Useful Post:
EDIT: The device seems to no longer boot into CM12.1 SFOS at all, I left it for about 8 hours and the only thing that happened was the LED came on. Out of sheer curiosity, I flashed CM13 SFOS over the CM12.1 base and it surprisingly showed more signs of life than the CM12.1 SFOS, in the form of vibrations and the LEDs going on and then dim like on the Ahoy screen and the red shutdown LED.
Thank you for trying this all again. I wouldn't wait for so long. If after a few minutes (let say 5) if there was no sign of life, I would give up. Sorry to hear that this doesn't work for you.
Please do not flash an SFOS over another one because the outcome will be unpredicted and it won't work properly at all.
It seems you need to use the CM13.0 based version, rather than this one. I am puzzled what the reason can be. What I can still think of some hardware issue that didn't affect the older version and the newer android base, but I am just guessing here.

Edit: That "failed to mount" message is not a problem, I am getting that too. It is just saying that the /data partition cannot be mounted because it is already attached.

Last edited by edp17; 2020-07-30 at 10:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
I've installed edp17 version twice without any issues on my Nexus 5 16GB version with multirom and used until two months ago because the cellular antenna broke.
It is a really nice build where everything works except video recording and Bluetooth calls (android support too, without camera support).
So, it seems really strange that you can't manage to install it.
What's the android rom you are using as primary? CM 12.1 same as the one used for Sailfish base?

The Following User Says Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by claustn View Post
I've installed edp17 version twice without any issues on my Nexus 5 16GB version with multirom and used until two months ago because the cellular antenna broke.
It is a really nice build where everything works except video recording and Bluetooth calls (android support too, without camera support).
So, it seems really strange that you can't manage to install it.
What's the android rom you are using as primary? CM 12.1 same as the one used for Sailfish base?
Indeed I am using that version of the base, cm-12.1-20160704-UNOFFICIAL-hammerhead-nocheck.zip. I too have a 16GB variant.

That android support is my main reason for trying so hard to get this to work, I need that working so the CM13 version is not a viable option for me. I may just end up back on 2.0.4.13, even though I would much rather have something newer.

I have reset back to three different stock firmwares, I have tried several versions of TWRP, I have tried MultiROM, I have tried Philz Touch and CWM recoveries, I have even resorted to trying other CM12.1 versions, some older, some newer. Nothing has gotten it anywhere and it's only these 3.x.x CM12.1 versions that are affected. I am stumped.

Last edited by ryanml; 2020-07-30 at 14:50.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
Indeed I am using that version of the base, cm-12.1-20160704-UNOFFICIAL-hammerhead-nocheck.zip. I too have a 16GB variant.

That android support is my main reason for trying so hard to get this to work, I need that working so the CM13 version is not a viable option for me. I may just end up back on 2.0.4.13, even though I would much rather have something newer.

I have reset back to three different stock firmwares, I have tried several versions of TWRP, I have tried MultiROM, I have tried Philz Touch and CWM recoveries, I have even resorted to trying other CM12.1 versions, some older, some newer. Nothing has gotten it anywhere and it's only these 3.x.x CM12.1 versions that are affected. I am stumped.
I would do:
1. Reset phone with stock rom and no multirom
2. Install TWRP multirom specific for Sailfish (now you should have multirom installed and the main Android rom working)
3. Flash Sailfish 3 with CM12.1 base

The Following User Says Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by claustn View Post
I would do:
1. Reset phone with stock rom and no multirom
2. Install TWRP multirom specific for Sailfish (now you should have multirom installed and the main Android rom working)
3. Flash Sailfish 3 with CM12.1 base
A Sailfish specific version of Multirom? I have used versions 2.8.7 and 3.1.0 (both had Sailfish options when installing) and done an install with both, neither worked. I haven't seen nor heard of a version of Multirom built specifically for SFOS, is it in this thread and I simply missed it?

There is a special version. That one didn't help either though. Would have to look for the link.

The Following User Says Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:

Tags
hammerhead, nexus5, sailfishos, sfdroid