Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
Originally Posted by hhaveri View Post
I haven't noticed such problems, but then again I haven't probably tested all possible scenarios with all conditions - like when phone is locked. So I'll check if I can find out something...
Thank you for looking into it.

I did not mean "Device lock", when I said the when the phone is locked. I just meant when the screen is off. Device lock is not enabled on my phone.

As soon as I double tap to wake the phone up, situations app evaluates and does what it is supposed to do, depending on where I am. It works on all situations profiles correctly.

Is there a log or something I can send you that may help you trouble shoot?

Thanks for this great app. Even with this issue, it works great. I just have to wake the phone up when I want it to change the profile.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Mansester, FI
This morning again the situation failed to change after leaving home...
My config goes like this:
  • At home: based on list of cell IDs, turn off mobile data and bluetooth and turn on wifi
  • At work: based on list of cell IDs, turn on mobile data and turn off wifi
(there's also "Near home" with situation!="At home" but since I had my wifi AP missing from the "At home" conditions, "Near home" wasn't actually working as meant at that time)

The cell ID sets consist of two non-adjanced physical areas, so basically the situation should've changed once on my way to the office and another time when I reached it. Now it did finally change after I modified the "At home" situation (added the missing wifi AP condition) which I guess triggered not only re-evaluation of that situation but also re-evaluation of all other rules since "At work" also got activated immediately. The phone was locked (device lock, display off) while I was on my way, but unlocking it had no effect.

Also, before leaving home I was experimenting with the "baseline" thing: I closed Situations app (swipe from top), went to settings and set things up as I want them to be when there's no situation active (or Situations is not running) and restarted Situations. The active situations were correct after start-up, but they didn't seem to affect the settings (e.g. mobile data was not turned off). Should I have also killed the background process (via Terminal) to have Situations completely shut down? Is the GUI process actually even needed for the rules to be effective?

Anyway, as I noticed that the settings were incorrect for the active situations, I manually deactivated "At home", which automatically activated "Near home" as it should (and I guess "At home" got automatically activated shortly after that). Thus, the app seemed to be running ok just before I left home.

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 596 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zagrim View Post
This morning again the situation failed to change after leaving home...
My config goes like this:
  • At home: based on list of cell IDs, turn off mobile data and bluetooth and turn on wifi
  • At work: based on list of cell IDs, turn on mobile data and turn off wifi
(there's also "Near home" with situation!="At home" but since I had my wifi AP missing from the "At home" conditions, "Near home" wasn't actually working as meant at that time)

The cell ID sets consist of two non-adjanced physical areas, so basically the situation should've changed once on my way to the office and another time when I reached it. Now it did finally change after I modified the "At home" situation (added the missing wifi AP condition) which I guess triggered not only re-evaluation of that situation but also re-evaluation of all other rules since "At work" also got activated immediately. The phone was locked (device lock, display off) while I was on my way, but unlocking it had no effect.

Also, before leaving home I was experimenting with the "baseline" thing: I closed Situations app (swipe from top), went to settings and set things up as I want them to be when there's no situation active (or Situations is not running) and restarted Situations. The active situations were correct after start-up, but they didn't seem to affect the settings (e.g. mobile data was not turned off). Should I have also killed the background process (via Terminal) to have Situations completely shut down? Is the GUI process actually even needed for the rules to be effective?

Anyway, as I noticed that the settings were incorrect for the active situations, I manually deactivated "At home", which automatically activated "Near home" as it should (and I guess "At home" got automatically activated shortly after that). Thus, the app seemed to be running ok just before I left home.
Ok, not sure if this is related but there is currently an issues with the wakeup timer failing randomly (and quite rarely) that might cause the behavior you described. I'm hoping to have fixed it to the next update but really not sure if it is related. Need to see if there is something else that could be causing this.

The UI does not need to be running at all for Situations to work - there is a separate background process doing all the work. You can disable the app (including the backround process) via the settings page but it is not the same as abruptly stopping and restarting the app. To do that you need to kill the background process.

The Following User Says Thank You to hhaveri For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abyzthomas View Post
Thank you for looking into it.

I did not mean "Device lock", when I said the when the phone is locked. I just meant when the screen is off. Device lock is not enabled on my phone.

As soon as I double tap to wake the phone up, situations app evaluates and does what it is supposed to do, depending on where I am. It works on all situations profiles correctly.

Is there a log or something I can send you that may help you trouble shoot?

Thanks for this great app. Even with this issue, it works great. I just have to wake the phone up when I want it to change the profile.
Ok, thanks for the clarification!

No logs, I need to enable them with separate test builds if needed.

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
One problem I have regarding this great app

I have a flight mode turned on with a timing schedule. But it has been almost always the case that in the morning, the flight mode is indeed turned off, it seems apparently back to normal but while wifi is back on, the cells are just grey
I need then to go to sailfish utilities, restart connections, and then after 1-2 sec, I have the cells on.

This is probably not caused by your app but this is for information and in case that this is related to something your know....

Situations updated today to v2.4.50. Some changelog:
- Updated app icon to Sailfish style
- Updated plugins & implemented autoupdate on application updates
- Attempt to increase wakeup timer robustness
- Fix to restart mechanism on application updates
- Fix to suppressed Wifi scanning

The plugin update & related changes have all the ingredients for a big catastrophe on existing installations - hopefully everything goes well though.

Edit: Probably should mention the new Location condition available on Features page also here.

Last edited by hhaveri; 2015-02-16 at 16:30.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hhaveri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Mansester, FI
Uh, after the update it seems that cell ID based situations are not triggered anymore Or well, at least the one that should be active now doesn't get activated, not even by killing the app (well, it killed itself when I disabled it, is that supposed to happen?) or by trying to modify the situation condition (which seemed to do the trick before the update).

Tried creating a new situation with just cell ID condition, but so far it hasn't recorded any cells even though I have proper coverage here ATM.

edit: I'd go for remove & reinstall (as I've backed up .local/share/harbour-situations2application), unless there's something that could first be tried to figure out why it broke... @hhaveri?

Last edited by zagrim; 2015-02-16 at 14:25.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Hungary
Hej,

I just noticed that when a Situation is triggered by an 'Accessory' that is my car kit, when the phone receives a call, it starts switching on and off the given Situation, as far as the call is received or declined.

When BT is the condition, the same car kit is connected, everything works fine. Only the power hogging nature of the BT condition is the problem.

LVPVS out.

Originally Posted by zagrim View Post
Uh, after the update it seems that cell ID based situations are not triggered anymore Or well, at least the one that should be active now doesn't get activated, not even by killing the app (well, it killed itself when I disabled it, is that supposed to happen?) or by trying to modify the situation condition (which seemed to do the trick before the update).

Tried creating a new situation with just cell ID condition, but so far it hasn't recorded any cells even though I have proper coverage here ATM.

edit: I'd go for remove & reinstall (as I've backed up .local/share/harbour-situations2application), unless there's something that could first be tried to figure out why it broke... @hhaveri?
Hmm... noticed similar problem but a simple reboot helped. Difficult to say what went wrong there. Btw, are you using some auto-start solution? I was just wondering if the cell condition breaks if the background process is started too early on boot - or while sim is just unregistered on network.

Originally Posted by LVPVS View Post
Hej,

I just noticed that when a Situation is triggered by an 'Accessory' that is my car kit, when the phone receives a call, it starts switching on and off the given Situation, as far as the call is received or declined.

When BT is the condition, the same car kit is connected, everything works fine. Only the power hogging nature of the BT condition is the problem.

LVPVS out.
Ok, thanks for the info! Might be difficult to fix - except maybe with some filter timer. I'll see what can be done about it...

Tags
sailfish os, situations