As the Nokia 770 doesn't support printing, I want to propose an idea I just thought of: Fax across Internet to a fax # we provide.

Everyone's discussing why we may never see printing from the 770 due to not knowing what 'standard' to use. The Fax protocol is a true standard, and it supports the idea of mobile computing better than anything. Faxes are everywhere, and their delivery method is primarily still phone. With a 770 connected to the Internet, you could stand next to a fax you need to use and hit print. A dialogue box pops up requesting the phone number. Type it in, hit send, it connects to a web-based service that routes the call via Internet to land line, and calls the fax, which subsequently prints your document. You can also select Draft,Fine,or Superfine as quality setting.

I hope there is a smart guy or gal who, upon reading this suggestion, cannot contain their affection and just has to start coding this thing into reality. If so, I would be very excited right along with you.

I was so excited I didn't finish my thoughts on this, heh...

Anywhere you go, you see Kinko's, print shops, computer stores... you could stop by, and for the privelidge of getting to see the future unfold right before their eyes, you request their fax # and hit Send. Bam! Their phone rings and your document prints right before their eyes, to their astonishment. "How are you DOING this?? they would ask, and in their excitement, they'd wave the fax fees.

That is... until thousands of 770 owners start becoming a revenue source due to frequent fax submissions come pouring in, that is.... heh.

If my idea took flight, then maybe Google would even use their new position in the 770's future to adapt an Internet-based phone routing server dedicated to routing 770 print request to faxes? Would the VOIP protocols also support Fax over IP? If so, they are already set up to deliver this function and all we would need is that Print-to-Fax driver to get this off the ground!!

Okay... now I'm done....heh...for now.

Ciao.

Nice idea...I was just doing a google search on printing from the 770 but found nothing. Then I came across this thread.

Adding some sort of print capability is definitely a must for me. If you're in the UK a company called pumafax offers an email to fax service and I know you can 'send page by email' from Opera.....but currently one would have to pay for this. But I guess it kinda works.....

Bit of a roundabout way of getting a print from your 770 though!!!