Active Topics

this update you are refering to is for the droid eris
android 2.0....i so wish they could have the n900 on the cdma network

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
And here is the long list of bug fixes coming to the Droid.

http://phandroid.com/2009/11/09/moto...december-11th/

The Grass really does only seem greener on the other side.
And here is the long list of bug fixes coming to the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
And here is the long list of bug fixes coming to the N900.
Why do they not just release an update now (soon) and then the portrait and whatever else later?

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
My opinions are that I think an iPhone is useless (to me, of course) without Jailbreaking it. Even Jailbroken it has some annoying limitations (especially in the multi-task arena), and you still paid and supported a company that would just as soon steal your iPhone back for you daring to even tinker with their configuration (if it were legal) as they would offer any kind of help or support.

Android was decent when I first got it. Pre-cupcake was a bit of an annoyance because it didn't have auto-rotate, no on screen keyboard option (relied on hardware only), and had several other glitches that were a bit off. After the update around when the myTouch was released, the cupcake version came out and fixed a lot of problems. After that it was OK. I then rooted the device and so far it's been an excellent phone while rooted giving me capabilities beyond what I thought it could. I still get annoyed at how it handles multi-tasking, and the limit of 6 apps at once. I don't mind paying google for the phone since google obviously doesn't care if I root it, as evidence by the fact that rooted-phone only apps are in the official google market. (Although, google did get a bit sandy over *what* was in the rooted ROM's.)

I am, unfortunately, supporting T-Mobile by buying the phone subsidized, and my understanding was T-mobile (carriers) are the ones bastardizing Android. Unfortunately this is an arena where we have no choice.

However, even rooted - the Android does not offer me the wealth of options that my N810 did, and what I'm quite positive the N900 would offer someone like me. I know there are significantly less apps on the N900.. and it's quite obvious it has glitches if anyone takes 10 minutes to read this forum... but despite that - we, as a community, have the ability to implement our own versions of fixes due to the *completely* open nature of the device - and this is what's key to me.

So like has been said millions of times... there is different phones for different peoples needs. I personally work my hardest to support only companies that believe in Freedom of people to use the devices they buy how they choose to.

I think people do need to complain about things that they don't like about whatever phone they have, and they need to be able to do so without getting flamed or attacked by fanboism (I've noticed a significant growth in Nokia zealots since I was last here.) - but they also need to keep in mind that, while the iPhone/Droid/WinMo phones does XYZ better than the N900... the N900 is getting better. However, they also need to understand that some things may *never* come to the N900, or at least not in anything resembling a short time, and if doing XYZ is their absolute only reason for using a phone then they are likely to be better off with something else. We, as a community, also need to understand this and stop harassing people for their choice in phone because it does do XYZ better for them *right now*.

(course, this logic applies to any device, and any community. Yes, the grass is greener everywhere you're not - but either accept that people are either fertilizing your area, and be patient - or they aren't, and you should probably go somewhere else. Pissing and moaning in a non-constructive way is neither helpful, or mature.)
Funny. In Europe the N900 is pretty much competing with high end Nokia N series (N97, N97 mini etc), and to some extent the upper half of HTC (WinMo and Android). iPhone is way too much mainstream, and the Nokia E-series are too good looking and business-centric. Motorola, RIM and Palm have never ever understood the vital importance of fully supporting native languages, and are as good as non-existent (Apple, Google and MS get it right).

The Motorola Droid thing is coming to Europe as well, but I doubt it will have any impact whatsoever against HTC/Google/WinMo and Nokia, for the same reason as before, and certainly not against the mainstream phones (iPhone included).

So, where is the grass greener; N900 or NXX ?

A guy at work liked the N900 for its big screen, but the touchscreen was a dealbreaker. No, not the capacitive vs resistive type, he didn't want a touchscreen at all, can't feel the keys, can't use it blind.