Notices

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Stockholm
Originally Posted by andreas1 View Post
Great work!
Could there be a functionality to open tab(s) behind the current page?
Thank you for the app!

To open links in background tabs should be the default behaviour. When opening a link in new tab it is normally done because one wants to continue reading on the current page.

For example:
Browsing through a search result page and opening a number of the resulting links that looks promising.
Or a forum index and opening all threads which are of interest.

Thus, opening links in new tabs without hiding the active one gives the most effective browsing experience.

(edit)
Another very nice thing is if the pages, which are opened in the background tabs, are loaded in background and ready to read when one switches over to them.

//j

Last edited by jesper; 2014-01-12 at 13:05.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jesper For This Useful Post:
Also the minimized status bar on bottom is difficult for at least for me to call back up. Maybe I have big fingers or something, but I seem to be clicking webpage link or swipe the browser away too often. I think there should be another gesture than.long press to call the status bar back up.
No long press needed. Just a single press is enough.
Usually the bar is a the bottom so it shouldn't be hard to hit.

Also, how do you reload current page, tabbing the address bar and then reload? A always visible button would be great.
Tried that. It clutters the user interface and makes the url textfield unbearable small.

Could there be a functionality to open tab(s) behind the current page?
Its on my todo list.

But there is a little thing which should be improved, as the default sailfish browser webcat also focuses input files.
Thats a webkit or browser engine related thing. I guess every browser does this. So unfortunately I am not able to fix it.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Orientation lock (No/Portrait/Landscape) should be in settings! Try to read something in bed.. The page jumps when you move the phone.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
A nice feature for me would be auto-hide of the adress-bar in landscape-mode. And if possible, it could be adjusted by user (auto-hide on/off). Thanks for your great work with Webcat!

Some things I noticed:

I think the engine always crashed when I entered one page. I think that was due to it had a gif(it was quite big but not huge).

For me it loaded only partially this site or it loads it very long time and I didn't wait long enough:

http://www.nhl.com/

Last edited by MisterMaster; 2014-01-12 at 20:51.

Originally Posted by MisterMaster View Post

For me it loaded only partially this site or it loads it very long time and I didn't wait long enough:

http://www.nhl.com/
I can confirm this.
Please try loading m.nhl.com which should load the mobile site which works fine.

Donate using Liberapay

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
The browser does not seem to support downloads. When clicked on a link (to a mp3 podcast file), it shows a popup saying "Load failed, Frame load interrupted by policy change".

It is also not possible to select text in input boxes, as long tapping brings up the 'Copy link' etc. dialog.

It would also be nice to turn Settings and Add Bookmark pages into dialogs and get rid of the 'Save Settings'/'Add Bookmark' buttons according to SailfishOS's logic. I can do this and make a pull request, but I'm not sure when I'll have time for it (exams...).

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Thanks for this great app LLelectronics! I'm glad you're in the Sailfish dev community, the apps you've proposed so far are really great, and very well integrated (very close to default apps in terms of ergonomics, which is good).

However, I've tried to set Webcat as the default browser in Sailfish because I think it's the closest browser currently, yet being better, but something is wrong. What I tried is that (the 6 steps). When I try to open a link from another app (Quickddit for example), Webcat does open, but it will show the bookmarks and not the page corresponding to the URL. When Webcat is already open, taping the link will put Webcat in focus, but not load the URL in the current tab nor in a new one.

By the way, the "update-desktop-database" command line showed several warnings about LLS Video Player, don't know if it's relevant:

Code:
Warning in file "/usr/share/applications/harbour-videoPlayer.desktop": usage of MIME type "x-maemo-urischeme/mms" is discouraged (the use of "x-maemo-urischeme" as media type is strongly discouraged in favor of a subtype of the "application" media type)

The browser does not seem to support downloads.
Exactly that is not built in currently.

It is also not possible to select text in input boxes, as long tapping brings up the 'Copy link' etc. dialog.
This is the hardest one. I am looking into it but I doubt that this is possible in pure qml/javascript.

It would also be nice to turn Settings and Add Bookmark pages into dialogs and get rid of the 'Save Settings'/'Add Bookmark' buttons according to SailfishOS's logic
Yeah you are right.

However, I've tried to set Webcat as the default browser in Sailfish because I think it's the closest browser currently, yet being better, but something is wrong.
This is not supported currently. The c++ backend for this is still missing.

By the way, the "update-desktop-database" command line showed several warnings about LLS Video Player, don't know if it's relevant
The warning can be ignored.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
Exactly that is not built in currently.

This is the hardest one. I am looking into it but I doubt that this is possible in pure qml/javascript.

This is not supported currently. The c++ backend for this is still missing.
I hope you'll find time and solutions for these three features, in future versions!

Last edited by Kabouik; 2014-01-13 at 12:14.

Tags
browser, webbrowser