Hi,

I repeated your steps. The was not problem first but it does not work for me.
I have copy of file system on mmc but I can not boot fom it.
The boot menu is present but I received two situations, first it boot up from mmc but when the load status bar was over it rebooted again. Second, I have message "boot from mmc failed" and it load from flash.
I tried later from fresh flesh of os2008 but no progress.
What I shoud try?

I have found similar information in other forums too.
I do not know why.

Last edited by martinjk; 2008-02-09 at 08:46.

what is the advantage of booting off the mmc?

hjeng, you probably missed step 6)

# apt-get install e2fsprogs

martinjk, I wish I could help but all I can think of is for you to re-format your SD card with the Panasonic tool: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=10417&page=2 and re-flash OS2008 and try again

nokian111, if you boot from MMC you get more space for your apps, games, etc.

to nokian111: you can install KDE with office suite. That's what I am experimenting with.
As well the system is faster from MMC because internal flash filesystem uses compresed file system.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by martinjk View Post
to nokian111: you can install KDE with office suite. That's what I am experimenting with.
As well the system is faster from MMC because internal flash filesystem uses compresed file system.
It is faster in principle. In practice, the difference is too small to be appreciated. I measured in 770, 2006Os and 2007Os, there is NO measureable difference, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...MC+boot+faster.

The blue pregressing bar on the bottom of the screen with the Nokia logo upon booting is a calibration tool. Upon flash boot, it reaches to the end, the right boundary, whereas it stopped at approximately 89% upon MMC boot. I guess one can 'implied' it is 11% faster with MMC boot. One gets more speed improvement by this, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...hlight=mmcplus.

The MMC boot is mainly to increase app installlation space, and is much for critical for 770 as it has 64 MB instead of 256 on the N8x0.
MMC boot also provides a safety net for the OS, in case one messes up the MMC OS, one can always fall back to the flash boot.

Just a note,

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
MMC boot also provides a safety net for the OS, in case one messes up the MMC OS, one can always fall back to the flash boot.
You can also take snapshot backups of the MMC file system from your PC so that you can recover to an earlier or a different state without having to re-install everything. On Windows, I use Acronis True Image to take backups of ext2 or ext3 file systems.

The Following User Says Thank You to dont For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
The blue pregressing bar on the bottom of the screen with the Nokia logo upon booting is a calibration tool.
Is it? I thought that at least some of this time (maybe most?) was spent booting from the Flash memory regardless of whether the final OS came from Flash or MMC.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by dont View Post
You can also take snapshot backups of the MMC file system from your PC so that you can recover to an earlier or a different state without having to re-install everything. On Windows, I use Acronis True Image to take backups of ext2 or ext3 file systems.
I dl Acronis True Image Home and have a 15 day trial. I tried to clone a 4G regular size SDHC, which has KDE on it, to a 4G micro/regular size adapter, and the process failed. It cannot read from the micro/SD adapter. I was able to resurrect the card by its add a disk and reformat function. I am kind of scare to try it again. Have you try the restore function? Or you have only backup, but have not try the restore? Or one have to retore with the same disk format?

I like your idea of backing up, still looking for a tool though.

The progress bar, I am still looking around. I think it is from Fanoush readme.txt initfs.tgz.

bun

Little issue here, if anyone knows the answer that would be stellar. I'm just starting the process of the instructions on the first page to boot from MMC, I have an 8GB sdhc in the internal slot, and I can't seem to unmount it, I try it , and I am root, but everytime I try unmount/media/mmc2 or mmc1 it says
/bin/sh: unmount/media/mmc2: not found
Not sure what the fix for this is, I installed the latest of e2fsprogs and did all the previous steps. Pleeeease help Captain Noob. me. Also I did do a search found one thing but didn't fix it.

PS. Im on N800 os 2008

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by JFX View Post
Little issue here, if anyone knows the answer that would be stellar. I'm just starting the process of the instructions on the first page to boot from MMC, I have an 8GB sdhc in the internal slot, and I can't seem to unmount it, I try it , and I am root, but everytime I try unmount/media/mmc2 or mmc1 it says
/bin/sh: unmount/media/mmc2: not found
Not sure what the fix for this is, I installed the latest of e2fsprogs and did all the previous steps. Pleeeease help Captain Noob. me. Also I did do a search found one thing but didn't fix it.

PS. Im on N800 os 2008
It is because you have swap file in mmc2. Delete the swap file (virtual memory in control panel) then you will be able to umount it.

Last edited by nhanquy; 2008-02-21 at 16:01.