Ok, so say as a developer I am interested in writing a C++ qt application to sell through the ovi store. As this will be a commercial application, assume that I do not wish for it to be open source - otherwise presumably, people will be able to obtain the source and compile it for themselves.

In this scenario, am I looking at paying approximately 3.5k dollars for a qt license to allow me to do this? Pricing obtained from this page:

http://qt.nokia.com/products/pricing

I'm assuming that I'm missing something here, otherwise the 50 euro Ovi registration fee is looking even more insignificant!

Regards,
spann

You need to pay that if you don't want to comply with the LGPL. Y ou can still have a proprietry application using the LGPL.

http://qt.nokia.com/products/licensing

The Following User Says Thank You to matikjn For This Useful Post:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I missed that option.

So, from reviewing the website once more, and also consulting wikipedia on the terms of LPGL, am I correct in thinking that under the terms of this license:

i) I can produce a standalone 'executable'/installable file which is not open source, but dynamically links with qt libraries at runtime.

ii) The qt runtime libraries are already present on the maemo device/N900?

iii) Statically linking with qt libraries is not permitted if my code is closed source.

iv) I presumably cannot in anyway ship modified versions of the qt libraries. However, inheritance of the provided qt classes is permitted.

I wish these questions were addressed a little more clearly and obviously on the website - perhaps they are and I have again missed them.

Thanks for any help in clearing up these issues.

Regards,
spann

Last edited by spann; 2009-10-27 at 20:42.

@spann - Just a thought, but you might want to reconsider how you engage with the Open Source community. There are ways to monetize an open source application. Going closed source is not exactly embracing the 'spirit' of openness that Maemo/linux/OSS represents - this isn't an Apple dev platform

i) I can produce a standalone 'executable'/installable file which is not open source, but dynamically links with qt libraries at runtime.
Correct. This was the biggest change to come about when Nokia bought Trolltech.

As I understand it, yes.

iii) Statically linking with qt libraries is not permitted if my code is closed source.
Strike that, I'm not sure. Statically linking isn't a good idea in any case, not sure how the LGPL falls there.

iv) I presumably cannot in anyway ship modified versions of the qt libraries.
Well, you could provided you made the source for the modified libraries available.

However, inheritance of the provided qt classes is permitted.
Correct.

Also, if possible, consider what Jed said

Originally Posted by spann View Post
I'm not 100% sure if the official QT package will be included as default - QT 4.6 was only ported to maemo earlier this month, and GTK (Hildon) is the native toolkit for maemo 5.

Even if not installed it will be easy for users to install either the 4.5 community port or 4.6 port when it is available (Q1 2010 apparently).

This thread might be useful...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33220

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by matikjn View Post
I'm not 100% sure if the official QT package will be included as default - QT 4.6 was only ported to maemo earlier this month, and GTK (Hildon) is the native toolkit for maemo 5.
The Summit firmware already included the 'community supported' Qt 4.5.3

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
The Summit firmware already included the 'community supported' Qt 4.5.3
Thanks, I hadn't noticed that before

Originally Posted by Jed View Post
@spann - Just a thought, but you might want to reconsider how you engage with the Open Source community. There are ways to monetize an open source application. Going closed source is not exactly embracing the 'spirit' of openness that Maemo/linux/OSS represents - this isn't an Apple dev platform
I would like to hear more about this.

If you got more to say please start new conversation at appropriate area and we go on from there.

P.s
http://smellslikedonkey.com/wordpress/?page_id=274

I can guarantee you most people are not going know how to obtain the source and compile even if was available. Heck I've been using Linux for slightly more than a year and I still have troubles when doing it. Now if someone compiled it then released it for free in compiled formthat might be problematic. But then again so would someone just breaking the DRM on your app and distributing it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...