Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by wakkamis View Post
So how can I find the name of a specific package to remove it?
"dpkg -l" lists all installed packages (even the ones the appmanager hides).

you can filter the long list this way:
Code:
dpkg -l | grep vlc
now you should only see packages with "vlc" in their name.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
How do people learn if they dont do things? It's like saying "the first step toward failure is trying." While true, trying is also the first step towards success.
Generally speaking, research is the way to learn, not trying blindly.

I tried the "dpkg -r package.deb" to remove an app I installed this way and got the message "dpkg: you must specify packages by their own names, not quoting the names of the files they come in."

The package in question is the VLC player. I got the files from : http://www.remlab.net/files/vlc/fremantle/

I know its very much a work in progress, so I wasnt expecting much.
The UI is a mess and Mplayer runs much better than it at the moment. Just want to know how to remove it since it dosnt show up in the app manager.

Thanks
I'd guess it'll be called "vlc", so "dpkg -r vlc". If you've got the deb file, the package name should be the first part, before the version number and file extension. You can also use "apt-cache search" to try to find package names.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
I tried the "dpkg -r package.deb" to remove an app I installed this way and got the message "dpkg: you must specify packages by their own names, not quoting the names of the files they come in."

package.deb is the name of the file containing the package.
The file name is often in the form "wireless-tools_29~pre21-2.osso1_armel.deb", just to take an example. In this case you can often guess the application/package name by using the part up to, but not including, the first underscore. So the name is probably 'wireless-tools'.

To be really sure you simply list the packages installed, and filter by name: dpkg --list | grep wireless

which would presumably print something like
i i wireless-tools 29~pre21-2 and a description

So, you would use 'dpkg -r wireless-tools' then.

(NB: Usually the package files have a slightly less convoluted name and a slightly less complicated version identification, but that was just the first .deb file I happened to look at. From the time of the N800.)

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Generally speaking, research is the way to learn, not trying blindly.
True, I did look up how to install the .deb files before just trying it out. Due to me not knowing any x-term commands, I wouldn't have gotten far.

Thanks for taking the time to help me understand the naming function of the .deb files and how its used. Also for the commands to find and remove the packages.