Running into "No space left on device" trying to install a new package. I'm stumped, I removed several packages (including Wesnoth 30MB!) and I'm still running into this issue with a 10 mb pkg. The user/home directory is < 1mb so no junk in there.

Are there any suggestions to find my size issues?

TIA

Didjit

How do you install it? There's one way that will, IIRC, install it by temporarily downloading the .deb to the /tmp filesystem, which is possibly the one running out of space here. Try downloading the file manually to a card, then use the application manager to install from there. That won't use any temporary space in the flash filesystem.

To save space, open x-term and get root, then run...

apt-get clean

Enjoy =)

Aisu - was just going to suggest that clean command.

If you want to install more apps and have more space you will need to dual boot off a sd card. Find instructions for how to do this on my blog.

If you normally install through application manager then the apt-get clean is done automatically for you. I think the problematic cases are when you point your browser to a .deb and click it, one option is to 'install', if you do then it will download it to /tmp/ and tell the application manager to install from there. That can be a problem if /tmp gets full. (If you instead saves to file, then later install, you bypass that problem). I don't believe it's normal to run out of actual application space in the flash file system, most uses for booting off SD cards is to get more choice (e.g. KDE, or dual boot etc.)

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
That can be a problem if /tmp gets full. (If you instead saves to file, then later install, you bypass that problem).
Good advice, thanks. I've been installing apps without saving them, but recently hit the memory full issue and couldn't understand why.

In this state of ignorance, I tried to solve the 'problem' by deleting files and, of course, deleted something (likely kde) which caused a 'real' problem: I got caught in the endless reboot loop and consequently have to reflash.

I'll keep this in mind as I rebuild my IT: Read the forums first!

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
If you normally install through application manager then the apt-get clean is done automatically for you. I think the problematic cases are when you point your browser to a .deb and click it, one option is to 'install', if you do then it will download it to /tmp/ and tell the application manager to install from there. That can be a problem if /tmp gets full. (If you instead saves to file, then later install, you bypass that problem). I don't believe it's normal to run out of actual application space in the flash file system, most uses for booting off SD cards is to get more choice (e.g. KDE, or dual boot etc.)
Perhaps not normal, but fairly easy; there's a number of >10MB packages (Ghostscript, previously required for Xournal; Imagemagick; any number of games with large data files (Descent, Quake, ...)). While more packages these days permit installation of game files on MMC easily, it used to be (and still is for some) a hassle to relocate them manually. I've done this, at least.

One very helpful thing, by the way, when installing from a deb-on-the-web is to save it on the MMC in some directory (/media/mmc2/packages/), and install it from there; then leave it there. Now, should you want to reinstall, you don't have to hunt it down. And you can freely remove large packages to make space to try out something new if your root fs is getting near full; you can just reinstall from the SD later.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot.

Didjit

There are things to delete. The sample movies and images. The how-to PDFs for languages other than yours.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
One very helpful thing, by the way, when installing from a deb-on-the-web is to save it on the MMC in some directory (/media/mmc2/packages/), and install it from there; then leave it there. Now, should you want to reinstall, you don't have to hunt it down. And you can freely remove large packages to make space to try out something new if your root fs is getting near full; you can just reinstall from the SD later.
That's what I was trying to say earlier I do exactly this, for packages that don't (yet) exist in repositories.