Notices

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 235 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Manila
help! for some reason, the folders in my n900 became lnk. so im unable to open the folders. the same problem persists when i plug my phone to my pc. any ideas/solutions? thanks!

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Near: Gilroy, CA
Some viruses on the desktop can mess with removable media (your N900 when plugged into usb).

Run a good virus scanner on your PC with your N900 plugged in (may I suggest something like AVG free), you may have caught a virus somewhere.

Check your N900 for files like "autorun.inf". The default autorun.inf only has a section for a custom icon and nothing else. If you find an autorun.inf file that has an "open=" command in it, post it back here.

Good luck!
http://thecubed.com

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
your pc did it, so I suggest that you reflash and stop plugging your n900 to the pc before you are 110% sure it cannot happend again.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by thecubed View Post
Some viruses on the desktop can mess with removable media (your N900 when plugged into usb).

Run a good virus scanner on your PC with your N900 plugged in (may I suggest something like AVG free), you may have caught a virus somewhere.

Check your N900 for files like "autorun.inf". The default autorun.inf only has a section for a custom icon and nothing else. If you find an autorun.inf file that has an "open=" command in it, post it back here.

Good luck!
here --

[auTOrUN]
ActiOn=Open folder to view files
shelleXecuTE=zLrOf.EXE
icoN=%SysTEMROOT%\sysTEM32\sHELl32.dLL,4
UseAuToPlAY=1

this is how my n900 folder looks like please help, i am trying to flash emmc but unable to do so as it results to device not being recognized. when i browse my phone using media player i can still see the pictures videos documents and all those that are located inside the folders or even use them for apps. so i think the folder shortcut is damaged or corrupted?
when i browse my phone using the file manager, the folders show up as .lnk eg. videos.lnk

i have already scanned and healed my pc for any virus and my n900 too.
Attached Images

Last edited by kent_autistic; 2010-09-27 at 18:50. Reason: correction

@kent_autistic WOW!! You have a good virus in your pc!

Specially that virus is like a flashback to me i was dealing with that one for a long time.

You must understand that your PC has a strong virus, and it wont let you do nothing with your n900 without messing with your files.

You need a good antivirus solution. My last experience with it (5 years ago) there were none that automatically deals with it.

Consider some technical support. Maybe today the antivirus becomed more effective against it.

i dont know

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Near: Gilroy, CA
Unfortunately, even after you scanned and healed your PC, the virus still has done damage to your n900's data partition.

Flashing the EMMC is the best and safest bet, but that would return your device to stock condition.
If you're okay with that (as it is the safest course of action), check this guide: http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

If you're having problems with the device not being detected, try rebooting your N900 and as soon as the screen goes black press and hold "u" on the keyboard until you see a little USB icon appear on your N900's screen.

Good luck!
http://thecubed.com

just delete all files with .exe on your n900 basically what the virus did was set all your folders to hidden, create .lnk files(shortcut files) with the same name as your folder and point it to a duplicate .exe of the virus with a folder icon. Deleting the autorun.inf, .lnk and .exe should fix that however if you connect it back to the same pc the virus would just propagate itself back.

Originally Posted by thecubed View Post
Unfortunately, even after you scanned and healed your PC, the virus still has done damage to your n900's data partition.

Flashing the EMMC is the best and safest bet, but that would return your device to stock condition.
If you're okay with that (as it is the safest course of action), check this guide: http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

If you're having problems with the device not being detected, try rebooting your N900 and as soon as the screen goes black press and hold "u" on the keyboard until you see a little USB icon appear on your N900's screen.

Good luck!
how do I reboot the n900? so lets say im gona start to flash EMMC then it says device cannot be found waiting.. then the phone will automatically reboot then the dots will run then after awhile get stuck at the second dot.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
Hi,

I think I have a similar but slightly different problem here...

I was browsing through the files while connecting it to my laptop and as I was deleting multiple files, I think I also carelessly deleted some files that affected these things:

1. When I connect the n900 to the laptop, the autoplay runs but the icon for the N900 (a small N900 icon) that used to appear is now replaced with just a regular mass-storage icon (an icon for almost all other USB mass storage devices when you connect them and view it in Windows Explorer). I know this isn't a big deal and so far, it doesn't really affect the autorun/connection to the PC/files transferring.

2. The files and icons when I view it on the N900 file manager have changed.... it used to be a film strip but now it's like a film roll (for video files). I'm not sure if it affects the music files because I can still view the album art.

So, does this affect the performance of the device in anyway? as in like it runs slower, detecting files takes a longer time, etc etc..

Lastly, is it reversible without flashing the device i.e. the files are downloadable somewhere?

Thanks