I tried searching, but there were far too many hits to search through. I see apps for 2008OS that say they require Python, but what exactly does one install? I looked in the Apps Manager, and see edje-demo, feedparser, and pynotify.

Thanks,

Bill

You will get the Python for Maemo here.

Thanks for the reply. So, I need an entire programming application just to run the Apps?

Bill

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Compare with Java. You need some sort of runtime-environment and libraries. Even standard C programs as mostly used on the tablets require libraries (most of which happen to be preinstalled).

Originally Posted by jcherepy View Post
Thanks for the reply. So, I need an entire programming application just to run the Apps?

Bill
If you install an app through a repository it will also automatically install the files you need to run it, which is why the green arrow install links on maemo.org/downloads work so easily.

As pycage says, you often need extra stuff to run an app on almost any device, but the extra stuff normally comes with the device, or is automatically installed along with the app, so you don't notice it.

Posts: 142 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ London
Compare with Windows too. While some libraries come pre-installed others don't and even if they do, they need updating sometimes. But the installer should do it all for you, in Windows just as in well behaved IT apps.

Dont be deterred by the I need to oinstall a full programming application to run some apps, cause there are quite a few apps, and I am there there will be many more which depends on Python to run .

Hence installing python language runtime will only help in having so many more apps run on your IT.

In all probability you already have some app which uses python (like Canola or OmWeather).

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 1,903 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Belarus
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Dont be deterred by the I need to oinstall a full programming application to run some apps, cause there are quite a few apps, and I am there there will be many more which depends on Python to run .

Hence installing python language runtime will only help in having so many more apps run on your IT.

In all probability you already have some app which uses python (like Canola or OmWeather).
OMWeather does not use Python.
It is made in pure C and GTK.

Vlad.

Sorry about my mistaken information regarding Omweather.

I guess it was another app which complained and didnt work properly, until I had installed Python on my N810 (this was way before Canola).

I need help!!!!
Somebody, Anybody.
All I want to do is use my second NIT as a bedside Clock/Radio, but the only full screen clock I found for the device needs PYTHON 2.5 installed (mClock), but in doing so there is a chance I might destroy my device. I have no idea what they mean by "going to root" and "flasher" and "Sudo" etc. Who would have thought a simple clock app would be so difficult to install.
Can someone PLEASE HELP ME INSTALL PYTHON?