Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
I do not want to sound "Lumiaman", however, after one day using Jolla I can not find a single thing that performs on Jolla better than on N9. Jolla Sailfish is still so beta.
I might be even using N9 for next 6 months and hopefully by that time Jolla has improved a bit.
So it's not just me then.

There are unfortunately quite a number of areas where functionality has not improved - or worse, regressed - since the N9 (email has no push and still only alerts for the first new email, no native Skype at all, "People" and browser apps are worse, Twitter event feed is limited to 10 tweets and shows no conversation context, I could go on).

Last edited by Milhouse; 2013-12-17 at 15:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 132 | Thanked: 148 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Whatever the current state of Sailfish today, it can only get better. Harmattan - can only get worse.

So I don't worry about it. But I'm a patient man. After all, I waited out a real Linux based phone. As you all are seeing, it took a while

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to lkravovicz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
I haven't switched yet as well but that does not mean that I am surprised. I was expecting some of the problem (like the lack of LPM, pebble not working...)
Some were almost surprises like the fact that I cannot get mfe to read my google calendar (probably related to Google preventing it from working properly now)
I am waiting for Gpodder as well as I am a great user of it with N9.
And there is a couple of issues here and there.

But at the end, I still have it opened, I am using it because in some activities, it is way faster than with N9. I am using it because it is cool. And I am looking forward for the coming developments (the phone has been in the market for 3 weeks now) and the community to take its part in the development of nice app around the OS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
So it's not just me then.

There are unfortunately quite a number of areas where functionality has not improved - or worse, regressed - since the N9 (email has no push and still only alerts for the first new email, no native Skype at all, "People" and browser apps are worse, Twitter event feed is limited to 10 tweets and shows no conversation context, I could go on).
After a day with mine, I'm missing a lot of N9 functionality too. SIP, CalDAV, turn-by-turn navigation, schedules for account syncs so I don't get emails at 4AM etc. And a lot of what is there is limited functionally eg. the 10 tweet limit and no native twitter app.

There's a few apps that have very obscure UIs like the gallery app where holding on the top half of the screen gives you a menu but no indication there is a menu. I quite like UIs that don't hold your hand and have to be 'discovered' but that's taking the biscuit.

Obviously, Jolla have had to rewrite a lot of the closed source apps that came with the N9 and even rewrite some of the open source ones too that used libraries that are obsolete now.

It is 'beta' and that is both a reason as to the reduced functionality and also it's a disappointment that it's not more complete.

I do find it amazing that only 80-ish people have produced it however and it may sound harsh to clamour for updates but yeah, it does need them! I'm sure Jolla are aware of that.

My N9 might have more functionality but it also has serious bugs that Nokia never fixed. I've lost count how many times I've killed the tracker database and emptied the twitter cache to stop the dreaded 'application not responding' popups. It's been great not dealing with that kind of annoyance.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Helsinki
Assuming i get my phone tomorrow, what is the right order?

-updating first to latest build
-enable developer mode
-install Android compability
-settings and import contacts
-install apps?

Can anyone who has setup the phone give some advice?

Thank you very much...Kiitos etukäteen

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
1. People app does not allow to scroll from contact A to contact Z
2. Browser has no landscape and on some pages it is needed to scroll into 4 directions
3. Browser can not load multible pages simultaniously
4. BT does not allow car HF to use contacts
5. There is no offline free of charge navigation solution
6. No zoom in camera app
7. Less storage space and file system issues when using memory card
8. No app to toggle BT or 2g/3g
9. No app to use volume buttons for flashlight
10. Alarm issues
11. Battery indicator / clock and GSM reception quality indicators are not visible on main screens
12. No Skype integration - you have to use Android Skype. And you can not start Skype chat / call from People app.
13. No constancy in menu navigation.
14. In landscape app all navigation swipes remain in portrait mode
15. No Facebook feed
16. etc, etc

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Brussels
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
I do not want to sound "Lumiaman", however, after one day using Jolla I can not find a single thing that performs on Jolla better than on N9. Jolla Sailfish is still so beta.
I might be even using N9 for next 6 months and hopefully by that time Jolla has improved a bit.
This, i dont agree.
While the N9 was / is a very nice phone I have to say the overall performance of the Jolla Phone is much better !

Jolla OS lacks a lot and the UI is beta and needs many improvements but going back to the N9 is a step down in overall performance.

I will also not use the JollaPhone as my main phone on this SW version... Let's see what Q1'14 brings for the platform. We invested in them so now it's upon them to deliver and upon us to keep on having faith.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wout.martens For This Useful Post:
My SIM card is back in my N9, I will keep my Jolla and wait to see what 2014 brings.

I think it is a great testament to what ~80 people can achieve, but I'm not prepared to take the (currently) backwards step in functionality for my daily phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to nbedford For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Joensuu, Finland
Having watched several operating systems and environments grow up, I have learnt that when a system is first released, the number of bugs is proportional to the square of the number of features

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jsiren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by hemiwi View Post
Assuming i get my phone tomorrow, what is the right order?

-settings and import contacts

Thank you very much...Kiitos etukäteen
First of all, delete any contacts from your SIM unless you want that mess to appear in the People app with no way to suppress them.

When it comes to importing contacts, good luck.

Apparently it's possible to sync contacts over Bluetooth from an N9 to Jolla, but this totally failed for me - the N9 said it had worked and finished syncing, but nothing appeared on the Jolla. Not even a notification. Nothing.

I then exported the N9 Contacts to separate files, and merged them together into a single large VCF file (containing all 166 contacts), but when emailing that file to the Jolla and importing it, the Jolla simply said "Contacts imported" (and not "166 or 166 contacts imported") but none were imported. No errors were displayed either.

In the end I created 26 separate combined vcf files, one each for A-Z, and emailed the 26 files to the Jolla - they all imported successfully. So go figure on that one.

I'd have thought importing contacts from an N9 with minimum fuss would have been a priority for Jolla, but obviously not. And it doesn't appear that contacts are being synced anywhere now, so whereas before we had Nokia Contacts for cloud syncing, we don't even have that with Jolla (what's the Jolla account for if not syncing data?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience