Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
The Livermorium "Pocket PC" Lauta-revival project:

SoC: Qualcomm MSM8953 64-bit 14nm
So, ironically, SoC is the same with Moto Z Play. I already have SailfishOS booting on it (want to get more of hardware working before I publish the port though).

It should be more or less similar then in terms of porting, so we can (at bare minimum) have unofficial port (without Android support).

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
- More space on keypad, means bigger keys and more keys
I don't mean to criticize the choice of 5.5" because I know it's the result of several constraints, and the device looks awesome, really (and 4.5" would be too awesome for my little heart), but I think bigger size of keys should not necessarily be a goal per se. More keys is good, but fewer keys can be pretty good as well if very well integrated in the OS (like N900 key combinations + onscreen special character keyboard).

Bigger keys and more space between them is typically thought as a good thing since we are the most comfortable with bigger, real-size keyboards. However, this keyboard will most likely be used with thumbs only, and not flat on a desk with 10-finger typing. For thumb-typing, larger keys/larger keyboards means more distance to cover with the thumbs, and I don't know what is the optimum size considering variation among people's hands, but seeing that I was more comfortable typing on the N900 than the TOHKBD and mistyped keys more often with the latter, I believe it's not huge.

However, again, I understand that there are multiuple factors leading you to 5.5", and I'll still happily give you all the money I can give you.

[Edit] Excellent news TheKit. Still holding my breath for an official Sailfish license with AD included, but it's good to know that ports would not start from scratch.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-07-28 at 17:12.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Me the moment i read MSM8953 knowing that TheKit is already on it

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
However, this keyboard will most likely be used with thumbs only, and not flat on a desk with 10-finger typing. For thumb-typing, larger keys/larger keyboards means more distance to cover with the thumbs, and I don't know what is the optimum size considering variation among people's hands, but seeing that I was more comfortable typing on the N900 than the TOHKBD and mistyped keys more often with the latter, I believe it's not huge.
I tried to estimate the size by taking a 5.5" phone and hold it like tohkbd/n900. It is no problem to reach everywhere with both thumbs but we will see when Moto KBD is available to try out.

Very good decision to save work and effectively "slap" a new phone onto the already constructed Moto Mod Kbd

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Me the moment i read MSM8953 knowing that TheKit is already on it
https://media.giphy.com/media/l5DQkB29oKck8/giphy.gif
I'm not the first one actually, there is a port for Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (based on LOS13).

Official SailfishOS ports are usually based on AOSP, but chenliangchen will have access to full Android tree anyway.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 409 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Germany
Wow that sounds like a plan, man
Any estimate on the time-frame you are targetting with this project to release?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ejjoman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Will the Jolla version be named jPhone? YouYotaSail? Or have you decided name? YouYotaPhone. YYP. YyP. YouYotaDreamMachine.

Btw. Love the green dance machine in post above

MeanGreenMachine.
SailingChen

@topic

I'm not really a fan of 2.5D glass.

Edit: I'm not a fan, because screen protectors won't hold onto our precious device.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

Last edited by NX500; 2017-07-28 at 19:02.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by NX500 View Post
I'm not really a fan of 2.5D glass.

Edit: I'm not a fan, because screen protectors won't hold onto our precious device.
That's a good point, but it's quite nice in combination with a gesture based OS.

Last edited by Feathers McGraw; 2017-07-28 at 19:25. Reason: added a word

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Is the mentioned screen used in some other devices?
If so, that would mean an availability of the spare parts.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I would assume so, I think Chen plans on reusing as many parts as he can off the pre-existing market for this first Livermorium phone iteration, but confirmation would be nice. Provided that the screen glass is widely available/replaceable, I like the curved edges as well. It was great on N9, and even the best screen protectors don't feel as good as bare glass.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-07-28 at 19:50.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen