Posts: 38 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Exeter, UK
Hi, newbie here all excited with my 770 on back-order...

Something has occurred to me that I don't think anyone has yet written/ported. If you could mirror the 770's display, then you could use it as the image source for a heads-up display (HUD). This has all sorts of interesting applications - especially when connected to a GPS.

How hard would it be to write a display-flipper which toggled the display around in various ways (left-right mirror, top-bottom mirror)?

The Following User Says Thank You to andygates For This Useful Post:
Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
You're putting the cart before the horse.
I'm sure it wouldn't be TOO tough given how easy desktop management is in X, but there's no real application for this thus no real demand. Try again in 4-6 months?

Originally Posted by andygates
Hi, newbie here all excited with my 770 on back-order...

Something has occurred to me that I don't think anyone has yet written/ported. If you could mirror the 770's display, then you could use it as the image source for a heads-up display (HUD). This has all sorts of interesting applications - especially when connected to a GPS.

How hard would it be to write a display-flipper which toggled the display around in various ways (left-right mirror, top-bottom mirror)?

IIRC, the OMAP 1710 frame-buffer will already do this (mirror mode), provided you twiddle the right bits.

I know that the XWindows R-and-R functionality to rotate the display 180 degrees is implemented using hardware calls, but still pending approval from the Maemo.org folks (I think).