Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
Native code is faster. The issue though is to create cross-platform applications. For that you need an agreed upon standard. It appears that HTML5 is now that standard.
C is more portable than JavaScript (which is used in HTML5 apps). The standard can be Linux, *BSD, etc.
Doing serious stuff in HTML5 for a desktop or phone is beyond stupid.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
When I heard the Tizen details at AppUp Elements, my first thought was that most apps would be hybrid HTML5 + device native code. Intel in fact confirmed that at our "fireside chat". So don't get too hung up on HTML5's shortcomings. There's an API for that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
So then why not just have everything done in native code, using GTK or QT or something?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
So then why not just have everything done in native code, using GTK or QT or something?
Compatibility of course. Instead of recoding 100% of an app to run across multiple platforms, code an HTML5 layer for consistent look and feel for all and address unique aspects with lower-level code. So that the average app could be, say, 50% common code and 50% native. That saves time for companies like Rovio who like to land on every platform.

In addition, not every app needs the native horsepower or functionality. HTML5 will be able to address a great many handy little utilities by itself.

I can understand why C++ developers get overwrought about paradigm shifts like this one, but really, there is nothing to fear, belittle or berate. Just another tech evolution.

Last edited by Texrat; 2011-10-01 at 21:19.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
HTML5 will be able to address a great many handy little utilities by itself.
Yes, before the iCraze, these were known as "websites"

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Samsung, too, in the Tizen camp... let's not forget. As for slower--that's less a fault of HTML5 and more a fault of the HTML5 engines/virtual machines, wouldn't you agree?

no, because there is nothing like native code, C specially, and pretty much those engines likely written in C.
as far as performance there is nothing close as pure breath C.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
When they say that HTML 4.01 Spec is "recommended" and not "final recommendation", I tend to state/believe that it is not final.
The W3C doesn't have a "final recommendation" status, "recommended" is the end of the line (see link in previous post).

Doesn't mean I'm right, but HTML 4.01 has standing revisions after 1997.
Things evolve, even languages like COBOL are still being revised. :-) HTML 4 was a standard. So was HTML 4.01, and XHTML 1.0 and so on.

HTML5 isn't, and won't be for a while yet. There's a lot of hype about it certainly, and I don't blame Intel/Samsung for jumping on the bandwagon (everybody else is), but it doesn't make for a stable or portable development platform.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
When I heard the Tizen details at AppUp Elements, my first thought was that most apps would be hybrid HTML5 + device native code. Intel in fact confirmed that at our "fireside chat". So don't get too hung up on HTML5's shortcomings. There's an API for that.
Now, that sounds a lot like Chrome's NaCL. Hmmmmm

Compatibility of course. Instead of recoding 100% of an app to run across multiple platforms, code an HTML5 layer for consistent look and feel for all and address unique aspects with lower-level code. So that the average app could be, say, 50% common code and 50% native. That saves time for companies like Rovio who like to land on every platform.

In addition, not every app needs the native horsepower or functionality. HTML5 will be able to address a great many handy little utilities by itself.

I can understand why C++ developers get overwrought about paradigm shifts like this one, but really, there is nothing to fear, belittle or berate. Just another tech evolution.
Yeah... who needs native code to run a calculator app, a hangman game or even a fart app? Think about it! INDEPENDENTLY CROSS PLATFORM FART APPS!

Now, for the 3D shooter or fighter, you might need native code at least involved, sure...

Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
no, because there is nothing like native code, C specially, and pretty much those engines likely written in C.
as far as performance there is nothing close as pure breath C.
But of course "there's nothing like it," except anything that IS ultimately like it. (You really didn't state anything.) Let's hear some genuine reasons, please, otherwise you have no basis for your refutation.

I, on the other hand, can point RIGHT UP AT THE TOP OF THIS POSTING to Texrat's posting about Intel's HTML5+native code position in Tizen and then to my reply to his post about NaCL (i.e. Here.. here's an article you should read). The benefit there is that you get the best of both worlds: apps that don't need it (probably MOST), don't NEED to be written in C and can benefit from HTML5's WIDE platform range--but if you're arsed enough that you need to, you can write native C code.. and then wrap it in HTML5 so that it can distribute to platforms that can run that native code.

FAR better than pure C native code. NO disadvantage.. unless you're Microsoft and this kills your PC platform strategies and profitable licenses.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

I really do not understand this point of view. If you want portability, you use C and something like SDL, or GTK or QT, which are guaranteed to run on almost all devices with a screen. HTML 5 is very unstandard (lots of machines don't have support for it), and when you mix native code to it you lose all the multiplatform benefits you might have had.

But why? How many people know C compared to HTML5? I don't see how implementing even simple applications in HTML5/JavaScript is easier than in C/C++.

Evolution? If by evolution you mean usefulness, then this is an involution. Are you under the impression that the CPUs are infinitely fast, and use no energy? Each extra level of abstraction will eat your battery and slow down your device.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Some guys must have balls as big as footballs to come on here and say meego is DEAD when you got people like stskeeps heavily involved in meego development.

I would not be suprised if he did not come on here and shoot you lot .

Tags
goodbye nokia, html != c/c++, meego is dead